Savage Stevens 200 .223

jdk81

What are your thoughts on this gun? Effective range for varmints and yotes? target shooting range?

Thanks!

Bottom of the line rifle, but it is the same as a Savage 10 action and easily upgraded. From what I have read people are seeing decent accuracy but the stock seems to be the weakest point.

Many buy them just for the action to start a custom build. If you reload then, the accuracy potential goes up just like any other rifle.

As far as varmints and yotes, you can't go wrong with a 223.

I picked one up awhile back in 308. They are hard to beat for the price. It`s a Savage 110 action with a non adjustable trigger, but that you can fix. The trigger has a hole threaded in the trigger foe a set screw so all you have to do is put a screw in it and ether cut the spring of put in a new one. The stock is good and ridge and any 110 Savage can be screwed into the action. The only thing I really didn`t like about it was the trigger. a 223 has a max point blank range of bat. 285 yards. with a good range finder and drop chart you can do well to 400 yards.

Had this gun at the range today. Shot right at 1 MOA at 100 yards. I had clay pigeons set up at 200 and shot 3 for 3 on those. Seems to be an accurate enough gun. It will get the job done for its intended purpose, be a fairly long range varmint/yote gun.

I would say that it was a GREAT buy.

Do you think it would be worth it much to get a different stock for this gun? It is hollow therefore I cannot bed the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.