Savage SA Question

winmagman

Is the only difference between the 4.400 and 4.275 Savage short actions the location of the front action screw? If its only .125 further forward on the 4.400 and the back hole and trigger guard hole are the same as the 4.275 action I can make one of Stockys new Savage stocks fit my current rifle:D:D:D

Thanks

Chris

Is the only difference between the 4.400 and 4.275 Savage short actions the location of the front action screw? If its only .125 further forward on the 4.400 and the back hole and trigger guard hole are the same as the 4.275 action I can make one of Stockys new Savage stocks fit my current rifle:D:D:D

Thanks

Chris

Yes the rear action screw is in the same place on both.

Don't know how you intend to make it work . But I simply machine a larger front pillar
and offset the hole by .125 Thousandths.

Just the way i do it.

J E CUSTOM

Don't know how you intend to make it work . But I simply machine a larger front pillar
and offset the hole by .125 Thousandths.

That's pretty much what I had in mind. Except this one doesnt have a pillar yet so I'll be putting one in.

Thought I'd plug the hole with a dowel, locate the center of the plug and come back .125 to center up the new hole. Then make that hole large enough to take out the plug. Install appropriate pillar.

Of coarse I'm sure I've made it sound like an easier project than I'll actually turn it into:rolleyes:

Chris

That's pretty much what I had in mind. Except this one doesnt have a pillar yet so I'll be putting one in.

Thought I'd plug the hole with a dowel, locate the center of the plug and come back .125 to center up the new hole. Then make that hole large enough to take out the plug. Install appropriate pillar.

Of coarse I'm sure I've made it sound like an easier project than I'll actually turn it into:rolleyes:

Chris

Chris.

I don't think I made it clear that I offset the hole in the pillar and just drill the existing hole
in the stock larger to except the pillar.

After making the pillar I offset it in the lathe by the amount that I want and simply drill the
hole in the pillar. This saves the stock and the pillar works very good.

This kills two birds with one stone.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

Chris.

I don't think I made it clear that I offset the hole in the pillar and just drill the existing hole
in the stock larger to except the pillar.

After making the pillar I offset it in the lathe by the amount that I want and simply drill the
hole in the pillar. This saves the stock and the pillar works very good.

This kills two birds with one stone.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

Nice, I'm going to file that in the memory banks!!!

J E,

I got it now:D.

That might be a little out of my league though. I've got access to a very extensive wood shop, but not much in the way of metal working equipment. I can cut a pillar to length and locate and drill the hole through it, but if it needs turning down I'm out of luck, no lathe. But that won't stop me from getting it done some how.:)

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.