Savage rebuild help!!!!

Oakpatch

Gentlemen
I am trying to rebarrel my savage accutrigger m10 in .223 to .300wsm. I know I need a new bolt head to get it right. I would like to use a shilen drop in savage barrel. I'm having trouble finding a bolt head that is not control feed. Has anyone out there done this before. I've contacted a few savage custom folks and don't feel like I am getting the process 100 percent. I've gotten the following.
The 300wsm should be built on a large shank action
The bolt face will need to be a mag face

Anyone with advice please enlighten me! I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the mechanics behind the built once I get everything cleared up
Chris

I have researched as I was looking to do this with a stevens 200 223 to a 300 or 270wsm.

There have been many wsm builds on the standard small shank without issue. I wouldn't sweat this. The haters will hate though.

Bolt head: For a push feed bolt head what you can do is take a long action magnum push feed bolt head and shorten the back end of it to the length of a short action bolt head. See image I borrowed from savageshooters. The one on the right has been shortened. middle is long action unmodified. left is short action.

Thanks lightflight
Any recommendations on gunsmiths to do the bolt head shortening job? Sharpshooter supply???
I have researched as I was looking to do this with a stevens 200 223 to a 300 or 270wsm.

There have been many wsm builds on the standard small shank without issue. I wouldn't sweat this. The haters will hate though.

Bolt head: For a push feed bolt head what you can do is take a long action magnum push feed bolt head and shorten the back end of it to the length of a short action bolt head. See image I borrowed from savageshooters. The one on the right has been shortened. middle is long action unmodified. left is short action.

Yeah I think they can get you a modified bolt head for the job. Just remember to also check firing pin protrusion and head space. when you put it all back together. You may want to ask if a different firing pin is needed. I can't remember.

Last summer I had a similar project in mind, converting a Savage 10FP (standard 1.05" action, non accutrigger) .308 to a .300 WSM. So I rebuilt the bolt, milled down a long action bolt face as described above and replaced the firing pin (magnums are smaller).
Then when I was looking for a barrel, I contacted Sharpshooter and was told that they did not recommend putting a WSM barrel on the standard action due to extraction problems. He stated that it was not a safety issue. I have not been able to find any examples of this problem or fix/work around for it.
Has anyone experienced this or have any more details about it? I'm still considering building the gun, but I don't disregard an expert's advice lightly. And I could still build a non-magnum.

I have built many wsm rifles on stand shank short actions. You do need to shorten a bolt head if you want to use a long action bolt. PT&G also makes new correct bolts for it. They will function fine also, the only reason why you would want to go long action is for a longer COAL.

I wonder why savage didn't use controlled round feed on their 338 lapuas I think they have some extraction issues

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.