Savage or Remmy Action?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by isu600rr, Nov 17, 2011.

1. isu600rr

isu600rr Active Member

Ok Guys im verry new to this and i have a couple of questions that i hope you all can help me with.

I would like to make a 338 Edge, I would like to use a Hart or a keriger barrel . Manners stock and sekins BM etc.. i want a 1000 yard tack driver.
    I have both a 300 WM in a Savage action from a 110 fcp-K w accu stock ( i hate the stock) and I just picked up a really nice 7mm in a Remington 700. I would kind of hate to tare into the Remington just because it has some nice wood but which action would be better?>
    If I do the savage build can I install the barrel myself ? would I have to get the savage action blue printed?
    Should I get the Rem action blue printed and can they install and head space the barrel at the same time/>?

glass bedding the action and things along those lines i can do myself.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

You can put the barrel on your self with the Savage. I've done it a few times and it really isn't that difficult. Takes me all of about 10min. I would suggest the Savage and definitely look into the Manners. A better option though may be Stockade Stocks. They specialize in Savage and stocks to fit Savage actions. The stocks are of high quality. If you want to save a few pennies, you can get the money saver and finish it your self. They don't require that much finish work.

Tank

3. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Exactly what liltank said.

The only thing I'd add would be is that if you need it to be a repeater, go with the Remington. The Savage is not well suited to being an Edge repeater with the usual Edge COAL.

The Savage doesn't need to be trued like a Rem does. But, there are a few things that can be done to make it smoother. Install a bolt lift kit, polish the cocking ramp, tune or replace the trigger(Sav-2 or SSS). Along with a better NSS or SSS recoil lug, and a good bedding job.

Here's a picture of my 338 Edge Savage with a 32" McGowan in Stockade Pdog stock.

[​IMG]

4. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Very nice, what break is that? How effective is it? Looks like a muscle break. Been thinking about that one when I finally shoot a big caliber.

Tank

5. highridge1

highridge1 Well-Known Member

I would go remington 700 for sure..

6. geargrinder

It's a $40 Ross Schuler brake. Pretty much a copy of the Holland QD and Muscle brake.

The front two baffles are angled back and the rear baffle is straight.

It works fantastic. Best brake for the $$$.

7. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

For sure, a Remington action must be trued up by a gunsmith. The floating bolt head on a Savage helps with accuracy; but not all Savages shoot well right out of the box. If you choose to build on a Savage action and install the barrel yourself, you will need a barrel nut wrench, go and no-go guages, and a barrel vise and action wrench if you ever want to remove the barrel.

8. geargrinder

You don't need an action wrench and a barrel vise. You only need one or the other.

The action wrench works much better.

9. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I have never tried to hold a barrel hand steady while using a rear entry wrench. Even with a port wrench, it would be difficult. It is better to have both.

10. geargrinder

It's easy. You put the nut wrench in a regular bench vise.

And, you should only use a rear entry action wrench in an action with a human tightened barrel nut. Not the factory gorilla. It's too easy to twist an action trying to remove a factory barrel.

The action wrench that grabs the exterior of the front bridge, like the Wheeler, works the best and won't twist an action.