Savage or CZ

Mr.Moa

Ok im looking to get a 22 mag for hog hunting on a rimfire only WMA and am between a savage 93 and cz 455. Lately ive been packing in a 17 hmr in a savage 93 that is actually my fathers gun. looking to get a gun of my own with a little more punch behind it for hog so ive been looking at these two guns. ive read the accuracy between the too is really close. I do like the accutrigger. Ive read that the CZ is more quality as compared to the savage and know first hand how finicky and frustrating the savage clip is. That being said, ive seen that the accuracy is identical which is the main thing, so is it really worth spending more for the CZ when i could get the savage and buy a scope for nearly the same price as just a bare CZ.

Ok im looking to get a 22 mag for hog hunting on a rimfire only WMA and am between a savage 93 and cz 455. Lately ive been packing in a 17 hmr in a savage 93 that is actually my fathers gun. looking to get a gun of my own with a little more punch behind it for hog so ive been looking at these two guns. ive read the accuracy between the too is really close. I do like the accutrigger. Ive read that the CZ is more quality as compared to the savage and know first hand how finicky and frustrating the savage clip is. That being said, ive seen that the accuracy is identical which is the main thing, so is it really worth spending more for the CZ when i could get the savage and buy a scope for nearly the same price as just a bare CZ.
Every CZ I've ever had my hands on shot lights out right from the factory and no one does a better job on warranty work.

I'd take the CZ hands down no questions asked as fast as I could.

I've shot prairie dogs to 600yds with my CZ .204 Ruger routinely and without even thinking about "gee can I make this shot".

Best value in guns out there in my opinion.

Every CZ I've ever had my hands on shot lights out right from the factory and no one does a better job on warranty work.

I'd take the CZ hands down no questions asked as fast as I could.

I've shot prairie dogs to 600yds with my CZ .204 Ruger routinely and without even thinking about "gee can I make this shot".

Best value in guns out there in my opinion.

+1 There is nothing else in the same class with a CZ. There is price and then there is value. CZ's offer true VALUE. You are getting a quality rifle for the money spent. Can you buy something that will outperform it? Sure. But you will have to spend a whole lot more money. You can beat a CZ rimfire, but you will have to drop the cash for an Anschutz to do it.

The bonus part of a 455 is that it has a switch barrel capability, where the Savage does not. You can buy your 22 mag and, if you so desire, you can buy barrels in 17 HMR and good ol' .22LR and shoot them all from the same rifle based on your needs or whims.

I have a CZ 452 LH LUX. I will still have it the day I pass from this earth!

I was in your shoes no more than 2 weeks ago. I decided I wanted a solid rimfire (caliber didn't matter). I have shot MANY Savage rimfires, mostly 17HMRs & they offer fantastic accuracy, a good trigger, an even better price, all while being manufactured in the USA.

Being a Lefty (PITA), my options are severely restricted. It was either Savage or CZ for me.

After discussing with some peeps more knowledgeable than myself, a LH CZ 452 American in 17HMR should be on it's way to my FFL today. Is it made in America? no & that honestly bothers me. However, I feel that I still made the correct choice for my needs.

In the accuracy department, you will have to flip a coin, as they are pretty much dead even. The Accu-trigger will probably offer a lighter pull & overall better trigger from the factory (that is a SWAG). You can pick up a Timney for your CZ, which is exactly what I intend to do.

Look at the two manufacturers & buy the model that fits your wants/needs best & buy that one. I don't feel that you can go wrong either way.

t

Last edited:
I have several of both and the cz wins hands down better trigger and the fit and action are way nicer as well. This is not to say the savage's don't shoot cause I have never owned one that didn't I just find that a tuned cz trigger is far superior to the accutrigger.

The only downfall to the cz is that aftermarket stocks are hard to come by.

Jordan

I have several of both and the cz wins hands down better trigger and the fit and action are way nicer as well. This is not to say the savage's don't shoot cause I have never owned one that didn't I just find that a tuned cz trigger is far superior to the accutrigger.

The only downfall to the cz is that aftermarket stocks are hard to come by.

Jordan
The good news is that HS precision is making them. As for the triggers They have the best factory triggers I've ever fingered.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts