Savage or another ML for shooting over 200 yards

baranx4

I'm been looking at picking up a modern ML for the fall and have been doing a fair amount of reading on this site. I have been considering ordering a savage 10 ml. I found a site in one of the posts that lists where to purchase them from for a August delivery. I do like the idea of cleaner burning not using black powder but being able to if needed.

I don't expect to shoot over 200 yards locally but like the idea of being able to shoot further if needed and plan on practicing at shooting further. I was thinking of using it instead of my rifle this fall. I also want to do a ML trip out west where it's not as difficult to draw a ML tag.

Any recomendations would be helpful.

I had planned on buying a Savage last year, was talkied into trying Blackhorn 209 powder in my Knight DISC before spending the money. I still have the Knight, using 120grs. of BH 209 with a Dead Center bullet gives me three shots under four inches at 200 yards. I saved several hundred $$ in the process.

baranX4

I have used a Savage 10ml for quite a few years. I am shooting a Barnes Original 300 grain 45/70 bullet with a MMP orange sabot. I use Vht. N-120 powder to achieve 2250 fps. This combination has taken me out to 240 yards accurately. The bullet has performed well for me.

I shoot a TC Encore magnum 50cal ML, 40.0 gr(****BY WEIGHT****) IMR 4759, Magnum Muzzleloader 3petal EZ sabot and Hornady #45200 (250 gr HPXTP) bullets. I have a gunsmith friend who recommended I try 38-42gr (*****by weight***** DO NOT EXCEED 42gr BY WEIGHT or CHANGE THE BULLET WEIGHT). 4 shots overlapping at 100yds and 1.65" @ 200yds (6.25" low). Shot a good VA buck last year @ 188 yds(range finder)
IMPORTANT NOTE:
IF YOU ARE NOT A RELOADER DO NOT TRY THIS. YOUR LOADS MUST BE BY WEIGHT AND BE PRECISE.

GUNSMITH ALSO NOTED: DO NOT TRY THIS IN ANY OTHER MUZZLELOADER OTHER THAN THE ENCORE OR THE SAVAGE. ALL OTHER MUZZLELOADERS ARE NOT MADE WITH THE SAME GRADE OF STEEL AS THE SAVAGE AND ENCORE. I too have a Knight but I stick w/ 2 pellets of 777 powder in it.

Nice thing about the Encore is I can change out the barrel for 270 Win come rifle season.....

Last edited:
baranX4

I have used a Savage 10ml for quite a few years. I am shooting a Barnes Original 300 grain 45/70 bullet with a MMP orange sabot. I use Vht. N-120 powder to achieve 2250 fps. This combination has taken me out to 240 yards accurately. The bullet has performed well for me.

That's a great combo! 458 bullets are usually the best option in the Savage 10ML. Another real popular combo is the Hornady 458 325GR FTX paired with either an MMP Orange or a Harvester Black Crush Rib.

Savage, hands down. If you can use smokeless it's even better but for my money it's the best out there. Hornady 300 XTP, MMP sabot, 65 grains of Reloader 7 and you are good to go as far out as you should be shooting. With either of mine it's an easy MOA shooter.

and if your funds are tight or you can't find the Rem ML to convert or the Savage. Take your ole single shot NEF or H&R rifle or shotgun and send it SMI for $375 they'll install a Douglas 45 or 50 caliber smokeless barrel up to 28" and you can request what twist.
Mine is a NEF or was a 20 ga and has a 24" barrel 1-20 twist. I do have a Savage but it was $700.00 and doesn't have a custom barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.