Savage models

Savage Axis Right Hand - Glades Armory

I've actually changed it to a black handle so it will match better with the bolt sleeve I have coming.
NewFluting01.jpg

I'm wanting on the bolt sleeve in the center.

I have two silver sleeves with matching Glade bolts handles that going on my wife's 6.5 Creedmoor and my 6.5x284...

Gotta love the flexibility of Savage!

Last edited:
I am under the understanding that the Axis is a standard small shank.

The Axis does use the standard small shank barrel.

However, if I were looking for an action to build on I'd look for a newer production short action with the 4.40" action screw spacing, as you will get the widest variety of aftermarket stocks and chassis for that action. This will also be known as a centerfeed model if you plan on using a short action cartridge. With long actions it isn't nearly as important because Savage never changed the action screw spacing so finding a stock/chassis won't be much of an issue.

I also like when building a Savage is the top bolt release, I just like the better than the bottom. If you're going to use a factory takeoff Accustock, make sure you have the right recoil lug. I highly recommend using a scope rail of some sort, scope bodies are getting shorter and Savage actions are a little longer than average.

Which Savage action would work best for 300 PRC or what I really want 30 Sherman Mag? There are several threads and YouTube channels that talk about the 12/112 target action, but I want a repeater. I don't know which model would have the longest magazine. I do have a 111 in 338 Lapua that uses AI mag's, but not sure if the magazine feed lips would hold the 300 PRC rounds.

You'd need a three digit model, preferably with a magnum bolt face for the PRC. Finding a Savage in .375 Ruger would make building the PRC pretty easy. I don't know enough about the Sherman cartridge to inform you.

Which Savage action would work best for 300 PRC or what I really want 30 Sherman Mag? There are several threads and YouTube channels that talk about the 12/112 target action, but I want a repeater. I don't know which model would have the longest magazine. I do have a 111 in 338 Lapua that uses AI mag's, but not sure if the magazine feed lips would hold the 300 PRC rounds.

Old or new Savage or Stevens, you would want a long action.

Anyway, I definitely would not be happy with the PRC running 2.80 mag length. This is a no go for me. So, unless you are going to run wyatts or aics length mags, do not do a short action with the prc. Factory ammo won't fit.

Last edited:
That's true...for a DIY guy.

Savage rifles are like the Jeeps of the automotive world!

View attachment 180907

Not very many Savage parts left on this one...my new bolt sleeve shipped today, so the "OEM" parts list is getting even smaller!

Highly recommend the Basix trigger! I have it set at 14oz...the above donor had the original style on it, not even an Accutrigger...
I have a Savage model 12 in 300 WSM with blind magazine. I want want this oryx chassis but not sure what magazines are available and which would work. Oryx said I would have to use MDT metal SA magazines for 308 and bend lips and modify feed ramp. Is there other magazines that would work? When they say modify feed ramp what are they talking about and are there videos out there that would show this?

I have a Savage model 12 in 300 WSM with blind magazine. I want want this oryx chassis but not sure what magazines are available and which would work. Oryx said I would have to use MDT metal SA magazines for 308 and bend lips and modify feed ramp. Is there other magazines that would work? When they say modify feed ramp what are they talking about and are there videos out there that would show this?
I have one too, but it's in a Choate stock....

They list the mags that go with the the chassis. My guess would be to open the feed lips, whether you file them (what I would do) or bend them open.

What your looking to do is allow the cartridge to rise up, just enough for the bolt to strip it from the magazine.

If they don't have a mag specifically for the 300 wsm...I'd try a 308 unmodified just to see how much it need to be opened up.

I have one too, but it's in a Choate stock....

They list the mags that go with the the chassis. My guess would be to open the feed lips, whether you file them (what I would do) or bend them open.

What your looking to do is allow the cartridge to rise up, just enough for the bolt to strip it from the magazine.

If they don't have a mag specifically for the 300 wsm...I'd try a 308 unmodified just to see how much it need to be opened up.
I found Accurate Mags makes a magazine for the 300WSM and it is around same price. I will go that way it will also fit 6.5 PRC if I change out barrels in the future.

No, I am kinda new when it comes to different makes, models of actions. I was just curious if the savage actions were basically the same just long action, short action, large shank, small shank.
If you were to look at your rifle and measure the length of your barrel nut you will find that even though Savage currently produces Three (3) different versions (smooth, square notched, & slightly rounded notched) your overall length will be either the standard length of 7/8" .875", or Large which 5/8" .625" in length.
So by simply disregarding the notches and placing a 6" scale on the barrel nut itself you can determine your barrels threading.
Most will be the standard of 7/8"which will indicate a diameter of 1.060" which will equate to a small thread on your barrel.
Hope this helps !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.