Savage model 116 barrel fix?

jpcwb

I just acquired a 7mag model 116 made by savage, I love this gun, but upon examination of it I now see why it was priced rather cheap. The barrel is bent about 6 inches from the very end, not too noticeable but noticeable enough. So now I am left with 3 options.. Get a new barrel, let my local gunsmith straighten this one, or cut it down and recrown it. I am really wondering which would be the best option. I am a do it yourself type of guy and would like to just cut the barrel down ( for maneuverability ) and to make it accurate again. What are your thoughts on this? I am sure I will lose some fps and maybe out of the box accuracy but then again I am working on a rather tight budget. And I like to put my own touch to my firearms. How short could I cut it? How much less accurate would it be from the stock new barrel?

Without a tax stamp you can legally cut it to 16". No way of knowing about accuracy without doing it and testing, it may improve. I'd personally just replace it as a barrel that short on a 7mag seems a waste to me. Pre-fits aren't that expensive and factory take offs are cheap.

I would put another barrel on it for sure, i have only bent at the end put probably stressed it up closer to the action and its not worth risking it, used take off barrels can be bought and change out with very little trouble.

Especially used Savages, lots of them, just get the shank size right and check everywhere. People sell them and change calibers like underwear with Savages, that's why a lot of people like Savages, you'd be surprised how cheap ou might find one. ou could go to 7mm stw too.

You need to have the entire barreled action checked it takes a lot of force to bend the last six inches of barrel. This is a safety issue you Must address! Once you are sure the action is safe you can replace the barrel.

Thanks everyone. I guess penny pinching isn't worth missing that 12 point or possibly getting hurt. I tracked down the guy who had it. And now I get the full story in attempt to go grab another rifle out of his house the guy left the rifle leaning against the rear of his car. It fell and his wife got in and backediver it. He got over on me but now I know what happened and it was my lack of attention that caused me to get this gun without checking it over good. I have shot it. Shoots like a 7 mag does but not accurate therefore I will not be hunting with it. I am going to drop it off with the gun smith or try to sell parts from it one as I figure it will never have the accuracy it once had. Thought I had a good deal but it was my fault for not checking it out real good. May get a new barrel put in. We will see.

You might call savage and see if they'd take a look at it for free. They might give you a freebee, you never know. The guys a creep for selling something he didn't know was safe, I'd go back to the source and demand your money back. It seems to have been sold under false pretenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.