savage model 111 long ranger hunter 25-06

Sweet report I would love to see one but like the other guy said no one in Billings know what your talking about when you ask for one!

Budperm
I have a 300 win sendero good succes with rhe following.
Try hodgon h-1000 powder
CCI 250 mag primers
Barnes 180 ttsx or 185 bergers
Reload data is available from both on the internet or thru their customer service depts.

Budperm
I have a 300 win sendero good succes with rhe following.
Try hodgon h-1000 powder
CCI 250 mag primers
Barnes 180 ttsx or 185 bergers
Reload data is available from both on the internet or thru their customer service depts.
Thanks for the info! I have had a few guys on my Optics forum recommend H-1000. Will have to get some!

Howdy everybody! Just a follow up on my Savage LRH 300WM. Been to the range 3 times now and really just scratching the surface on load development.
Friends from my Optics forum sent me a bunch of different weight bullets to try. It's a great idea and helps control costs some. We should try something like it here. Everybody shares there favorite bullets and weigths 20 or more rounds mailed to the interested party.
I received 6 different weights to try without breaking the bank and having a lot of unsatisfactory weights lying around! Now back to the report.

I tried 208gr AMax 200 gr NHP and 168 NBT.

For the lightest bullet 168gr Nosler Ballistic tip I used Varget. Was surprised to see her group at just over 1 MOA using 57gr of Varget.

For the 208Gr AMax I used H4831SC loading at 70.0 to 71.5gr in 0.5gr steps 5 each.

The gun seems to love 208AMax cause all the different powder weights grouped below 1.5MOA and the 70.5gr load grouped at 0.675". 5 round groups.

This gun has really grown on me! She has a very solid feel to her and with the break turned on she kicks less than my A-bolt in 308 and my buddy's Remy 788 in 308. The rifle has yet to be fed a round I wouldn't consider going hunting with at anything below 300yds. She is showing her potential and I am sure she will be completely deadly with a few different bullet weights out past 600yds.

I am lovin it! The Savage LRH is definitely great bang for your buck! I got mine NIB for well under MSRP too!

The gun seems to love 208AMax cause all the different powder weights grouped below 1.5MOA and the 70.5gr load grouped at 0.675". 5 round groups.

This gun has really grown on me! She has a very solid feel to her and with the break turned on she kicks less than my A-bolt in 308 and my buddy's Remy 788 in 308. The rifle has yet to be fed a round I wouldn't consider going hunting with at anything below 300yds. She is showing her potential and I am sure she will be completely deadly with a few different bullet weights out past 600yds.

I am lovin it! The Savage LRH is definitely great bang for your buck! I got mine NIB for well under MSRP too!

I'm curious nearly a year later how you have found the LRH and what loads are working for you in 300 Win Mag? I'm looking at the possibility of buying this rifle.

Welcome to the forum.

There are lots of good bullets for the 25-06. Any of them would probably work well from the LRH. Just depends on the shooting distances.

Here are a few very popular ones

Sierra makes well know game killers for the 25-06.
GK 100 Gr BTSP (my favorite)
GK Pro Hunter 100 Gr SP
GK 117 Gr BTSP
GK Pro Hunter 117 Gr SP

Nosler
110 Gr Accubond
115 Gr Ballistic tip
100 Gr Ballistic tip

Berger
115 Gr VLD Hunting

Any of the above would probably work great. Use the more solid ones for closer ranges and the more fragmentable for longer ranges.

Do you already have this rifle in 25-06? If not, I would suggest looking at getting it in 6.5 Creedmoor for long range whitetail. The 6.5 shoots heavier, higher BC bullets and allows for more energy down range. The Creedmoor might add another 200 yards of maximum range and that would be about 700 yards at sea level.

One of the things that makes the 25-06 so great is that it can shoot lighter bullets pretty fast. It shoots 85 Gr bullets a little over 3500 FPS. This is great for things like long range varmints, but loses energy quickly for bigger game. The 25-06 just really lacks high BC bullets for big game at long ranges. The 6.5s on the other hand excels with high BC bullets.

Guess what I trying to say is, if you are only hunting deer at longer ranges a 6.5 might be a better choice. Hornady also makes excellent long range ammo for the Creedmoor and at a very good price. You cannot beat it really.

Thanks for your feedback. I will primarily hunt whitetails, but also plan to use it on antelope in Wyoming and some coyote. We have been very pleased with the accuracy of the Hornady Superformance SST in our Savage 243 and Savage & Tikka 270's, and are wondering if this is also a good round in the Savage LRH 25.06. I'm looking to replace the 243 with the 25.06.

I'm very comfortable with a 300 yd. shot, and plan to expand my skills to 400 yds., but don't foresee squeezing the trigger on an animal past that range.

Haven't shot the Superformance SST in my 25-06, but think it might well work very well. I have shot it in my 6.5 Creedmoor and it was very accurate. I like the extra speed that Superformance ammo gives. It's great.

If that doesn't work, here are a couple of factory loads that work very well in my Savage 116 in 25-06.
Federal 117 Gr Sierra GK BTSP
Federal Fusion 120 Gr Speer Spitzer Boat Tail ( This is a good tough bullet. If you shoot whitetails in the shoulder, might want to give it a try.)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.