savage model 111 long ranger hunter 25-06

Danny1788

looking into buy this new savage rifle, has anyone shot one yet? how does the stock feel, the trigger, anything impressive about them or am i wasting my time, should i just buy another remington and bed it and go from there?

I too am having trouble finding any feedback on this rifle. They just started shipping a week ago. I decided to order one a while back in the 6.5x284 and should be getting it in the next couple days. I will fill you in with details once I get this baby out on the range. Shooting times had a nice listing of this rifle and from my experience with savages, I have no doubt that it will perform well right out of the box.

I too am having trouble finding any feedback on this rifle. They just started shipping a week ago. I decided to order one a while back in the 6.5x284 and should be getting it in the next couple days. I will fill you in with details once I get this baby out on the range. Shooting times had a nice listing of this rifle and from my experience with savages, I have no doubt that it will perform well right out of the box.

I just picked up my 111LRH in 300 Win Mag today! I was very unhappy to find that it is only a sporter tapered barrel! The entire selling hype was based on a heavier barrel to increase Long Range Accuracy! older pictures show the fluting! This is a serious case of bait and switch and I am not happy!

This is the third Savage I have purchased this year and have been extremely pleased with eth first two!

I just picked up my 111LRH in 300 Win Mag today! I was very unhappy to find that it is only a sporter tapered barrel! The entire selling hype was based on a heavier barrel to increase Long Range Accuracy! older pictures show the fluting! This is a serious case of bait and switch and I am not happy!

What might disappoint some may be a plus for others. If you don't mind, what is the actual weight of your rifle - now I might be interested. Did everything else look as previously advertised such as the muzzle break, Karsten cheek piece, accustock etc. There are a lot of guys I know just waiting to see what someone actually gets for accuracy out of this rifle. Hope it's a shooter for you. Keep us informed. What did you finally end up paying for your rifle?

I should have my LRH in couple weeks. Ordered the 6.5x284! I got to look at one in a 300 as well. It does still have the adustable cheek piece, brake, accustock, ect. Its a medium heavy barrel without the flutes which I am happy about. No need for that. They went with that barrel because it had better accuracy. Great accuracy in fact! The stock had a good feel and good balance to the rifle as well. I picked mine up for $750 here in MT. It will be a shooter no doubt. And think the rifle was round 8lbs. All I got for now.

I should have my LRH in couple weeks. Ordered the 6.5x284! I got to look at one in a 300 as well. It does still have the adustable cheek piece, brake, accustock, ect. Its a medium heavy barrel without the flutes which I am happy about. No need for that. They went with that barrel because it had better accuracy. Great accuracy in fact! The stock had a good feel and good balance to the rifle as well. I picked mine up for $750 here in MT. It will be a shooter no doubt. And think the rifle was round 8lbs. All I got for now.

Yote when did you get to look at these? From all I've read the early prototypes were med weight fluted barrels! The 300 Win Mag I picked up yesterday sure didn't look like a med weight bbl. Gun did weight 8.7lb.
Overall fit and finish is very nice! Very solid ridgit feel compared to my Sav 270win w/ old style synth stock. She feels great, very natural when shouldering her.

Again the barrel looks to be a sporter taper not a med weight! Fluting I can take or leave. The whole premise of the long range hunter was heavier barrel...better accuracy for those long shots. If not then why is this gun retailed for more than a 10FCP-K which has everything the LRH has but the cheek piece, and the 10FCP-K has a removable box mag instead of hinged floorplate.

I will pull out the caliper when I get home from work today and compare dimensions just to be sure. The break is also smaller and same diameter as the barrel

Thanks for your feed back everybody! I have been in love with Savages since the accu-trigger. both my 223 and 270Win are tack drivers right out of the box. This has me pretty upset since I have been waiting since Christmas for these to come in-stock!

I should have my LRH in couple weeks. Ordered the 6.5x284! I got to look at one in a 300 as well. It does still have the adustable cheek piece, brake, accustock, ect. Its a medium heavy barrel without the flutes which I am happy about. I picked mine up for $750 here in MT.

yote doctor: Did you get to look at the 300 at - Was it here in Montana? If you ask anyone here in Billings about the 11/111 Savage they don't know what your talking about.

Well guys I was not able to get thru to Savage CS But when I got home I measured the Barrel diameter directly behind the break and was very surprised to find it measured 0.734" My Sav 270Win measured 0.575 at the tip of it's 24" barrel. I can only surmized it must be a heavy Sporter barrel!

It just doesn't look like it to me! Guess I over-reacted cause it sure looks skinny for what I was expecting! I'll christen her this weekend. If she is anything like my other too she should be a tack driver! Going to put a Vortex Crossfire 6-24X50 on her until I can afford some high end glass! At $99 you can't beat the Crossfire without spending $350+.

Sorry if I created a stink! Have been waiting for this gun for 3 months!

I'll post a range report sometime next week for anybody thats interested!

Bud :)

Well guys I was not able to get thru to Savage CS But when I got home I measured the Barrel diameter directly behind the break and was very surprised to find it measured 0.734" My Sav 270Win measured 0.575 at the tip of it's 24" barrel. I can only surmized it must be a heavy Sporter barrel!
I'll post a range report sometime next week for anybody thats interested!

Bud :)

Glad that it turned out to your liking. I think there would be a lot of appreciative guys to hear your comments on a range report on this unit. I've been around a while and this rifle has created as much interest as any I've ever seen. Let us know how things go - Good luck.

Sounds good Budperm! It does look a little small at first glance. I think you will be happy with it. Im use to the Heavy barrel as well. Oh, COWBOY. Check out Shedhorn Sports in Ennis. Look it up online too. They have all there inventory to view and you will see a few in stock. You know your going to buy one so just get after it so you have some good data to share with some others that arent ready to make the jump yet. Haha. Let me know any updates.

Bump.

I too am interested in getting one in the 6.5x284, will be curious to see your range results.

Thanks in advance.

The long range hunter is around 1.5 lbs heavier than the sporter weight barreled 110 series rifles. I would think that adjustable cheek rest would add around 6 ounces or so over the standard accustock so I think the barrel is around 1 pound or more in weight heavier.

I checked the Shilen website and the muzzle diameter of the long range hunter is actually bigger than the Shilen heavy sporter and light varmint barrels.

http://www.shilen.com/contours.html

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just a quick note about my Sav 111LRH 300WM. Got to the Range Sunday afternoon late. Had an assortment of rounds loaded up. Unfortunately, the powders and weights weren't the best choics for the caliber

I used the pills and powders I had on hand for my other guns.
I used virgin Remmy brass and CCI LR Mag primers.

Loaded 155gr Nosler HPBT using Varget, H4831SC, and H4895.
Loaded 168gr Nosler HPBT using the same powders.

Started by cleaning the barrel with a brass brush, a boresnake and Hoppe's #9

Fired the 155gr pills first. Had mounted and boredsighted a Bushy 4200 2.5-10X40 but wasn't on 8X10 paper. Sited on larger target and was 8" low and 3" right. corrected and 3rd round was about 1" high and 0.5" right.

Left scope set here and tried all the 155gr rounds. 155gr with the powders I had didn't do well at all. Average grouping size was about 2.5"

I then moved up to the 168gr pills. First shot POI was different than the 155gr pills. First 168gr pilss was 2.5"left 1" high. fired second round and it's POI of within 0.5" of 1st. Adjusted scope and fired 3rd 168gr pill, POI 0.5" high centered.

I then proceeded to fire for effect with the remaining 168gr pills. Groupings were much tighter thant he 155Gr pills, averaging around 1.25 MOA. The best result was 0.73" The Varget seemed to do the best for this pill. H4831sc the worse (surprising).

I quit after 24 rounds because it was apparent to me that I needed the get some heavier pills and some more appropriate powder.

All in all the gun has a very solid feel to her, well balanced too! The break really does calm her down too! With the break off the gun would jump up off the front rest significantly. With the break on the gun stayed down on the front rest with noticable less kick. You will feel some dirt or grit blast when you fire with the break on....at least with the powders I was using.

I am pretty happy for a first time with the results because all the indications were there that once I find the gravy load she will be at least as accurate as my other 2 Savages! Already sub-MOA with only 20 rounds down her tube and no barrel break-in other than cleaning with Hoppe's #9.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.