Savage Model 11 for shots within 350?

megastink

I am looking for a Practical lightweight hunting rifle to carry in the deer woods with me here in NE Pa. My average shot is between 40-75 yards. But, being a still hunter, I move around. Sometimes I'll come to a clearing, swamp or Ag-land where a shot up to 350 (200 the average) shot in open country can present itself.

I have a semi- custom 10FP .308 that shoots well under MOA (with factory Hornady custom match 168gr Amax), but it's more of a designated long-range weapon; I want something more PRACTICAL for the hunting I do.

So, I was looking at a Savage 11 in 7mm-08. It only needs to shoot MOA, which savage guarantees. Does anyone own one? What factory ammo do they like? Is this rifle capable of MOA accuracy with factory loads out to 350?

It's a great round. The 140 BT or AB should do the trick. You should find lots of reloading info on this site.

Guys, I appreciate the information, but I'm asking about a Savage model 11's (chambered in 7mm-08) capability at 350 yards specifically, not the 7mm-08 round. I do not reload, so I will look at 140 gr rounds for my rifle. Thanks!

Any rifle - Browning, Marlin, Savage, Remington, Weatherby, Winchester - will do just fine at 350 yards if the accuracy is there. Unfortunately the only way to know that is to buy it and shoot it. Many rifles from the popular brands will do exactly what you want, including that Savage. Even the Savage Axis will shoot as well as you require.

So if you want to know if the Savage 11 will generally shoot well enough to do well at 350? The answer is yes. Will the one you buy do it? Tell us after you shoot it, as that's the only way to know.

PS if you want a selection of various 7mm-08 ammo to try let me know. I sold mine but still have several boxes of ammo.

I have both the 11 Lightweight hunter in 308 and the 7-08. Both fine rifles, lightweight (less than 7.5 pounds with a 4-16 and 4 in the magazine). Just got back from NM and toted the 308. Left the 7-08 at home.

I like the barrel length for woods work. I carry mine via sling or in my Ebrelstock and it don't get hung up on branches. Great brush gun.

Problem with a 7-08 is ammo availability on the road. If you fly somewhere and your ammo gets lost in transit (happens) or you somehow loose your ammo elsewhere, 7-08 can be a pita. 308 is available everywhere in any combination. Walmart has plenty and Wally Worlds are almost everywhere.

I almost got the 6.5 Creedmore but declined at the last minute. Thats even worse for over the counter in some faraway berg ammo.

Interestingly, Savag stats no Accustock but both of mine are free floated and the Accutrigger (that I see Ruger is now copying, for good reason) adjusts down to a hair trigger. I have mine at 2.5 pounds vis Lyman.

Be apprised that all the 11's recoil pretty hard because of the light weight. Mass negates recoil. The 11's lack mass so your shoulder taks the brunt of the recoil.

I have Vortex 4-16 PST's on both with Talley one piece (ring-base) combination mounts, lapped, bedded and aligned, of course.

Guys, I appreciate the information, but I'm asking about a Savage model 11's (chambered in 7mm-08) capability at 350 yards specifically, not the 7mm-08 round. I do not reload, so I will look at 140 gr rounds for my rifle. Thanks!

My barrel is a factory sporter, off of a Stevens 200. Same as a Savage 11.

I forgot to add one issue with the 11's and that is they come with a nicely finished wood stock, nicely checkered but not too good as a brush gun. I'd suggest a MacMillan snot stock and it would cut the weight even more.

Thats the only drawback I can find.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.