• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Savage Model 10 Predator

mightyman

To ALL
I am looking to buy a new rifle in Left Hand and have been really watching the posts on the Savage Rifles here of late.

It appears that the quality of these rifles from my reading has improved greatly over the years while some of the others like Remington may have suffered.

All I have is Remingtons in my stock, yet am open to your suggestions, comments on the following rifle: Savage Model 10 Predator LH, 243. It has the Accustock/Trigger

Any comments on quality out of the box, groups, etc. would be very helpful

I would appreciate hearing from the experts before I purchase.
thanks
Mighty man

Welcome and check out this post.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/left-hand-savage-110-7mm-96514/

Savage bolt action rifles have come a long way. More folks on this site are getting bit by the Savage bug and there is a dedicated Savage site with lots of good information. Used Sav rifles can be had cheaply and it doesn't take alot of money or work to get them to shoot well if they aren't already shooting that way.

I recently bought a used 111 in .270, bought an aftermarket barrel, and am gearing up to rebarrel myself. I paid in the neighborhood of the above listed rifle and it was in excellent shape. I'm new to Savages but I do know they can give a guy one heck of a bang for your buck.

Have fun

Mightyman,

I second what Hunts4fun is saying. I bought a Savage 10 Predator last year in .260. I have not shot factory ammo in it but it shoots awesome (so far out to 830 yards). It shoots around 1/2 moa consistently. I also have a friend that bought the same rifle (110 in 6.5-284) and his shoots just as good. He has hit 1/2 gallon jugs past 1000 yards.

I used to be a diehard Remmington man but am now a Savage convert. Savage is the best bang for the buck and I think the most accurate out-of-the-box rifle you can get.

OK guys, one more time on the Savage...

Now looking at the 24 inch fluted barrel, or the 22 inch blued barrel.
90% of what I do will be deer hunting in the mountains, mostly tree stands, but some walking.

However their is opportunity in the field for a 400+ yard shot...so Help me narrow it down, is it work the extra for the 24 inch fluted, or the regular 22 inch barrel.

thanks again in advance
MM

i have the Model 10 Predator Hunter in 243 and 223.

the 243 consistently shoots 0.5 MOA with factory ammo - i.e., cloverleaf groups at 200 yards -- out of the box, with no aftermarket work whatsoever.
virtually no felt recoil with that light caliber and the 24" fluted barrel.

i haven't shot the 223 enough to opine on its out-of-box accuracy.

i also have a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in 308 (20" heavy barrel, non-fluted) that is a 0.5 MOA rifle, shooting factory ammo, with no aftermarket work.

i also have a Savage Model 116 FCSS (22" stainless non-fluted barrel, with Accustock) in 270, that shoots 0.75 MOA with factory ammo.
(just took a doe the day before yesterday at 200+ yards - piece of cake.)

i also have a Savage Model 116 (lefthand, 22" blued non-fluted barrel, wood stock), that is a 1 MOA rifle with factory ammo, no aftermarket work.

based on my experience, the Model 10 rifles may be slightly more accurate than the Savage models with 22" non-fluted barrels, but the added weight for hunting may (or may not) be noticeable to you.

don't know whether the slightly better accuracy may be important for your hunting.

also, the added barrel weight in the Model 10 series isn't needed to help offset recoil in the lighter calibers in which its offered (243, 260 rem, etc.).

Thanks to all for the professional input and suggestions.
All my rifles are remingtons, and or have remington actions. However, based on what I have heard from others and especially the guidance from this site I have my first Savage 110 predator, left hand, fluted 24 inch barell 243 ordered.

Cannot wait to get it and start shooting. Now I need to pick a good scope/mounts to go with it to top it off.

I guess I also need to sell a couple of my left hand rifles also to fund this purchase....(custom left hand 7mm, jewell, Lilja, etc and a 788 remington left hand 6mm)

thanks for all the suggestions.
MM

Last edited:
I just traded for a nearly new predator 260. I shot it a couple of times and it shows a lot of promise, as a matter of fact I was just in my reloading room loading some loads for it to shoot tomorrow. I would appreciate it if JPD676 would share his loads with me. It may save me some time and expense. I don't feel like you can go wrong with Savage.