Savage model 10 predator hunter max1

gissle

I have three questions..

1. Whats the differences between the model 10 and the model 12?

2. This sounds like a solid accurate shooter. Does anyone have any negatives or positives about this setup?

3. Is the accustock worth the extra money?

I have the model 10 .223. The stock is not an acustock and does flex with a bipod on the end of it. But it does not touch the barrel. With factory 40 grain vmax hornay's 3/8 groups. So I wouldn't worry about the acustock.

(1) The model 12 series is a short action and from the factory one can onlu get it chambered in 308 sized cases or smaller.

The model 10 can be had in cartridges up to and including the 338 Lapua.

(2) I do not own a Savage nor have I ever owned a Savage that was not out of the box a good shooter. Lots of pre-made after market barrels and parts make this a hobbiests dream setup regardless of model. Changing barrels without expensive tooling,machines or a smith make this an easy manufacturer for me.

(3) Accustock is a nice concept that I personally will never own. Not conducive to larger recoil lug changes. Plus with the new bolt release system mounted in the stock on the new guns its a deal breaker for me. Plenty of older models around for putting cool looking after market stocks on though.

Personally the Stevens is the same gun minus the Accutrigger. The Stevens trigger cleans up nicely though or for $85. one can buy a very nice trigger group from Sharp Shooters Supply. AT $300. or a tad more this would be my choice.

Neal

(1) The model 12 series is a short action and from the factory one can onlu get it chambered in 308 sized cases or smaller.

The model 10 can be had in cartridges up to and including the 338 Lapua.

(2) I do not own a Savage nor have I ever owned a Savage that was not out of the box a good shooter. Lots of pre-made after market barrels and parts make this a hobbiests dream setup regardless of model. Changing barrels without expensive tooling,machines or a smith make this an easy manufacturer for me.

(3) Accustock is a nice concept that I personally will never own. Not conducive to larger recoil lug changes. Plus with the new bolt release system mounted in the stock on the new guns its a deal breaker for me. Plenty of older models around for putting cool looking after market stocks on though.

Personally the Stevens is the same gun minus the Accutrigger. The Stevens trigger cleans up nicely though or for $85. one can buy a very nice trigger group from Sharp Shooters Supply. AT $300. or a tad more this would be my choice.

Neal

Neal, I'm in agreement with most of what you said. But, the 10 action is a short action also. The 110 is the long action version of the 10. Also, SSS and Stockade make stocks for the new models with the new bolt release.

Thanks for the input.

threefingervic I guess what I was wondering on the model 10 vs. 12 is whether the action is the same. ie. the bolt and the quality.

This particular model comes with the accustock on it and was wondering how much this actually makes a noticable difference in accuracy.

In .204 it has a 24 inch barrel where most of the bbl model 12s have a 26 inch barrel. What downside is there to a 2 inch shorter barrel?

I will do the best to answer your questions. I spend some time on the Savage Shooters site. The gurus on that site seem to think that the actions are pretty much the same. The finish or ports may be a little different, but the function and quality are the same. As far as the Accustock goes, IMO it is a very good factory stock. That said, if you want to change the stock to something specific I would scrap the idea of getting this gun all together (I'll explain in a second). With the barrel length, savage must think that the .204 Ruger only needs 24" to stabilize with whatever twist they are using. Also, I don't think that the extra 2" would give you a ton more in the way of velocity.

Okay, if you don't like the idea of the accustock, or really want to put an after market stock on that gun right away. I would consider looking looking into a barreled action from Northlander on the Savage Shooters site. I looked, they have 26" barrels and a few different actions to choose from for a .204. Check it out.
Northland Shooters Supply

I have three questions..

1. Whats the differences between the model 10 and the model 12?

The action is the same, last year you could have had a model 12 in WSM cals but they dropped them this year. The 12 varmint has a lighter (1.5lbs) accutrigger but I'm not sure about the 10 predator, the bolt handle is the same the barrel on the 12 is heavier and 26in as apposed to the 24 in of the 10.

2. This sounds like a solid accurate shooter. Does anyone have any negatives or positives about this setup?

None, buy it now!!!

3. Is the accustock worth the extra money?

If you buy a non accustock that isn't wood you will need to through it away and get a good one. I tried all the tricks on my Model 12 fvss in 270 WSM and then ended up getting a B&C medalist and trust me don't waste you time with the tupperware stock, bed that bad boy in a quality stock and don't look back.
I have yet to tear down one with the Accustock but I have heard that if you don't really tinker on things it works very well. For me it's not worth it cause I'm dropping it in a better fitting stock anyway but I reeeeaaaaalllly like the looks of that Max 1 predator, it is the Model 12 in a little lighter faster package.:D buy, buy, buy!!!!

hey guys,

I actually bought the savage model 10 predator hunter max 1 in .243. shoots awesome.. sub moa with 100grain game kings. However, I hate the stock.. ugliest thing I have ever seen. I have called stocky's and they do not carry a stock that will fit it. My question is ... can i have a wood stock built specifically for my gun or do you guys know of a stock that will fit it?

Thanks for the help
Heath

Hey bud, I feel your paint on the predator stock. I've had PHMax1 in a .260 for about a year. The gun will shoot better than I can. I just started working with it this fall and just put a coyote through obedience training with it, "lay down!.... Stay!... Dont eat deer!.... good girl..."

Home - Stockade Gun Stocks

Stockade will make a replacement stock for the action on the PHMax1. I email'd them and they got back to me quickly and said they could do it. I have not ordered one yet but probably will this winter. There are not many options out there for replacing this stock.

The accuracy on mine is good with the factory stock but have stubby arms and the stock was too long for me. I shortened the stock and replaced the factory recoil pad, the factory pad must be meant for larger calibers than the 260.

I'm interested on how you do with you .243, I like it!

I have the Predator in 22-250, Accustock and trigger. I had intentions of replacing the stock but when I saw how well it shot I just left it. The only thing I did was to open up the stock channel where it was making some contact with the barrel in one spot. Been using it over two yeas now and it shoots just about everything I feed it into one ragged hole! Hand loads and factory ammo. I went through the same thing with my LRH in 6.5x284 but the Accustock on it doesn't have the wedge design in the bedding block. No bedding problems with this rifle either which is also a great shooter. It's important to not torque the bedding screws over 40 in/pds.

Old post I know. I will explain the difference between both actions. A Model 10 is an open top action whereas the model 12 is either right or left port and not an open top. The model 12 action tends to be more of a target action due to it being more rigid because of the added support.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.