Savage Mod2 22-250 bolt spacer.....WTH??

ElkSurgeon

Hey guys, my buddy just bought this rifle today & asked me some questions but I had no answers & we rearched the web & found nothing. This is a brand new Savage rifle out of the box today, there is some kind of bolt spacer that is on bolt & after a few operations becomes loose. He can take it off by hand & there's a set screw that's built into it. Nothing in owner's manual obviously about what it's for, & if it's even needed.....just wondering if the group has any intel??........
B6CAF428-430F-41EC-AF77-F0F2547DE4A8.jpeg
A4BD7DB4-284F-4801-8F99-9F488010D811.jpeg
80568C4D-D05F-47A2-9CC3-67E2A259A801.jpeg

Attachments

• 442CDC6B-7018-4708-A047-88DAEDCE4768.jpeg
    442CDC6B-7018-4708-A047-88DAEDCE4768.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
  • 464AD993-EE5F-4F3A-83CC-C0F9D472EBD3.jpeg
    464AD993-EE5F-4F3A-83CC-C0F9D472EBD3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
That's a cam to help with cocking the bolt, and I think they are required. I only took mine off when I was refinishing the rifle, and that was after removing the bolt handle. It never would have occurred to me that it might be possible to remove it without taking off the bolt handle, but it is supposed to rotate around the bolt body, or rather, the receiver holds it in place while the bolt rotates inside it.

It's not suppose to come of easily. All of mine have a ball and spring that keep it from rattling. Can you get a close picture of the set screw? They should move and rotate but not fall off.

I agree with Hirschi1, it's not supposed to come off while the bolt handle is "tight" and assembled. Is the screw at the back of the bolt tight? Mine comes off when I disassemble the bolt for cleaning or mods.

Bolt spacer simply slides off, what is its purpose....what angle is supposed to be tightened & also there's no torque specs.....here's the requested picture, ThankYou guys!.....next step is to call Savage tomorrow5FBEEF1D-BAC3-4427-B04A-854919C75E1E.jpegD815B04D-05A2-472C-882A-91BFAD49FB77.jpegF3DA24E4-2A38-4E2B-99F1-04F2E288025B.jpeg

Its purpose is to act as a cam to assist with cocking the bolt when opening the action. As the the angle, it should orient itself as is slides onto the back of the receiver with the flats against the receiver, making sure that the angled part faces toward the butt of the stock. I believe the manual that comes with the Savage 110 series rifles like this one has a diagram of the bolt in it that would show the proper orientation. It needs to float on the bolt body so it can rotate, or rather the bolt rotates in it and it stays in the same orientation against the receiver when you raise the bolt handle. It also needs to be snug enough to not fall off. I'd have to look at mine, but I think that set screw adjusts the pressure on a detent ball.

I looked at one of my rifles. It does rotate off. I have never had it come off in the field or range. All my rifles are savages.

The hole in the side of the spacer should have a steel ball in it? If it had the ball place it back into the bolt and enjoy.

Bolt baffle, carries the primary extraction cam surface. Note that the bolt body has a shallow groove in it for the detent ball to index in.

Bolt baffle, carries the primary extraction cam surface. Note that the bolt body has a shallow groove in it for the detent ball to index in.

^^^^This. If they didn't need to put it there they wouldn't.

Yes as others have said, that is the rear bolt baffle. It should not be able to come off while the bolt is in the rifle. You can rotate it off upside down when the bolt is out of the rifle. The ramp on the back side of it should match up to the angle on the front of the bolt handle, as this relationship is responsible for primary extraction.

Hey guys, my buddy just bought this rifle today & asked me some questions but I had no answers & we rearched the web & found nothing. This is a brand new Savage rifle out of the box today, there is some kind of bolt spacer that is on bolt & after a few operations becomes loose. He can take it off by hand & there's a set screw that's built into it. Nothing in owner's manual obviously about what it's for, & if it's even needed.....just wondering if the group has any intel??........View attachment 239810View attachment 239811View attachment 239812
If he can remove that collar without removing the bolt, perhaps the detent is missing from the right side which is supposed to fit into a slot on the right side of the bolt's rear.

Understanding the Savage bolt: Savage Rifle Build, Bolt Work (disassemble and assemble) (pt 7) - YouTube

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.