Savage MLII

Corey Schwanz

Anyone else using one of these for a muzzleloader? I've had it for a few years now and absolutely love it. Using the Hornady 250 XTP and the MMP Sabots with 5744 powder and it shoots like a dream. May not be seeing as much use in the future with Indiana laws potentially changing, but right now its my go to for the standard firearms season as well as ML only.

Although I do not have a savage. I just finished a custom Remington 700 smokeless. A friend shot a buck this past weekend with it here in IL. I will never go back to substitutes as long as the law allows it. This gun is just flat amazing. Shooting 70 gr IMR4198 275 match hunter sabot less and smooth formed. Shooting right at 2800 FPS out of my 26" Pacnor barrel.

Not a Savage MLII, but I built a smokeless ML on a Savage action with a PacNor barrel and have used it as my primary firearm season weapon since 2009. Until this year, when I had an Indiana-legal 358 WSM built. I'd waited several years to have one built making sure the law was set, then they start the process to change it before I even take delivery. Figures.

I will still use it for ML season.

I am shooting the 10ML. It cannot match the custons in velocities by no means. I am shooting the 300 gr. Barnes Original SSP at 2290 fps. My son-in-law is shooting the 300 gr. Harvester Scorpion at similar velocities. These numbers may run a little hotter than my Marlin 45/70.

If you have tinkeritis you may want to play with the 300 grain bullets as the two Savage muzzleloaders I have worked with have shot the heavier bullets better. I have the best results with Vht. N120 with the 300's. Check out Parker's offerings. They have some very good bullets/sabot combinations. Harvester is another supplier of ML sabot and bullets.

I have 2 and love them both. They are my primary hunting guns. I'm shooting 40 grns of n110 with a harvester scorpion. 5 deer and 1 hog, all one shot kills.

I shot the 300s the first year I bought it because I couldn't find any 250s. I may have to go back and give them a try for comparison's sake. I haven't done much testing the last couple years. Just verified my setup was were I wanted it and called it good to go. The customs are certainly a little better for longer range hunting and high velocities. 100-150 yards is about the longest I can shoot from most of our stands on our property.

My longest kill with the Barnes is 244 yards. They shoot so well I can't get myself to change. I have tried the Parker 300 gr. Match Hunter. Shot well, but I ran out of time this fall. I may try this summer again. I shot the 250's at first. Never had an issue with them. I just wasn't happy with the performance of the SST or the XTP. The Originals are a controlled expansion bullet and have given pass through wound channels each kill. Good luck with your 10 ML and may God Bless.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.