savage mark 2 extraction problems

McDewbie

I recently bought a savage mark 2 fv (bull barrel) and it shoots really well, unfortunately it doesnt extract the spent case. no idea what was going on i initially assumed it was the magazine as it looked like it was hitting the rim of the case and stopping it from extracting and removed that, didnt get stuck for about 20 shots, then got stuck, popped it out and about 10 shots later it got stuck again, so not the magazine. I then came home and googled it. and someone said it was the extractor (duh, should of thought of that), and that it could be fixed, but I have no idea how to do that or if it even works. anyone else have this problem? and if so how did you fix it (if you did it)?
Thanks in advance, Evan

Hi mate,
I have the same rifle and I have to say I have noticed some rounds extract better than others. For example I can't extract CCI stingers unless they're fired first, but all other .22lr rounds cycle whether fired or not. A slight rim difference is likely the cause.

BUT, if you're having problems extracting all brands of ammo, I would remove the bolt, carefully pry off the 'C' retaining spring that holds the extractors in place, take out the extractors and de-grease them and the slot in the bolt they fit into. Inspect for burrs where the extractor contacts the rim of the case, hone if necessary (absolute minimum), lightly re-grease/oil and put back together.

Let me know how it goes.

Phil

i woulr do hat, but i am a noob when it comes to gun parts. il have to get a smith to do it unfortunatly
Thanks, Evan

I hope you don't have the same problems I did with a new Savage Lakefield with the old trigger. Mine wouldn't extract most of the time and a screwdriver was required. When using Win experts, the last round wouldn't feed because the clip would push down in front and hit the bullet. There were a few misfires too. It was sent back to Savage twice and they said there wasn't anything wrong with it. Finally got a refund on it and bought a new CZ452 American, best .22 I ever had. Used the leftover ammo with no problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.