SAVAGE M10FCP-SR...308. NEED FEEDBACK

7stw

To all the barrel nut clan, I'm very seriously looking at a 10fcp, sr, in 308.
I've changed my mind a few times, and am near settling on this rifle. I really like the switch barrel idea, as I've always been a remmy guy, my whole life. So, this whole turn over is brand new to me. I used to have a 10fcp hs precision. It was stupid accurate. This one I believe, has the accu stock, which I've heard mixed reviews on.
So, I'm asking for goods, bads, and uglies, or indifferents.
Aftermarket parts seem to be plentiful, and affordable.
Any and all thoughts appreciated, as always.
7STW
Cheers.

The fcp-sr is a fine rifle. I have had several. Accu-stocks are not great but they get the job done. They have a bedding block and aluminum rail extending into the forearm and can accommodate up to a bull barrel. The magazine system is meh. The FCP-SRs in 308 I owned that I have actually shot seemed to like lighter bullets and would shoot well under 1 moa with factory ammo. Could do .5 with handloads without going to far into development.

Advantages:
tactical bolt handle
black bolt (i like the looks better)
threaded
comes with rail
accu-stock (better than tupperware stocks without bedding block/rail extending into forearm)
shoots well

Disadvantages:
comes with cheap rail (usually not tightened properly)
smooth barrel nut (worst invention ever)
accu-stock (not as good as other after market offerings or higher end savage models)
magazine system does not feed very reliably.

Watch sportsmans outdoor superstore. They are usually the lowest priced on fcp-sr.

I noticed that the 10fcp, has a smooth nut. Pardon me for not being SAVAGE, savvy, but how do you get the smooth nut off without damaging action or barrel. Saving my pennies. I think I'm on the right track now.
It all really makes good sense.
Great barrels avail.

I have one in 6.5 Creed. It is lights out with 140 ELD-Ms and RL-16. Agree with the Mag being just okay and I thought I'd swap out the accustock with a chassis right away but it's shooting as good as I can at the moment. Answer to the smooth barrel nut is a pipe wrench. Cabelas has a model 10t which is basically the same rifle. They have one in 300 win Mag that I'll pick up as soon as a rebate shows up .

I noticed that the 10fcp, has a smooth nut. Pardon me for not being SAVAGE, savvy, but how do you get the smooth nut off without damaging action or barrel. Saving my pennies. I think I'm on the right track now.
It all really makes good sense.
Great barrels avail.
You can just use a pipe wrench on the smooth barrel nut and then replace it with a squared standard type nut. Or if you have a barrel vise and an action wrench, you can lock the barrel in the vise and unscrew the action with the action wrench.

You really need to replace the factory barrel nut and recoil lug anyway. You need to call Northland Shooter Supply. This is the goto place for a lot of folks in the barrel nut clan. He can explain details and has great replacement barrel nuts and recoil lugs. Also does Shilen and Criterion barrels and Savage actions. Here's the link to their web site. You have to place an order by phone, but it is well worth it.
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

yeah there are options for bottom bolt release. was mainly pointing it out as the options for top bolt release are much more prevalent.

As far as Cabela's Savages go.. I would get the Savage FV in whatever cartridge you want. It is $230 cheaper than the 10T and also has the Savage rebate going for it. The !! FV HAS THE TOP BOLT RELEASE !!. The FV does not have the Accustock or the 5R rifling. I'm so sure how much the 5R rifling is gonna affect things with a factory barrel anyway. There are plenty of tooling marks left in them to catch copper....

You could use the money saved and put it toward a after market stock and barrel. That's what I did last month. Just used the 12 FV action. Now has a Boyds stock and Shilen ratchet rifled barrel on it. Ratchet rifling is Shilen's version of 5R rifling.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.