Savage LRPV

My LRPV in .223 is about 8 years old and still shoots extremely well. It is a 1-7 twist, shooting 80 gr. VLD moly coated Bergers in groundhog matches. I now have over 2500 rounds on the barrel. It was bore scoped a few months ago, and the smith said it looked excellent. Very little wear showing in the throat. Groups are consistently half minute if I do my part.

I have had other Savage rifles, but none shot as well as this one. Frequently, I can beat custom rifles at these matches.

Savage send me one of their lrpv right bolt left port as a replacement for their faulty LRP, I replaced its barrel because chamber job was terrible, also mine had laminate stock with pillars which had no contact with its action, so I end up bedding it... After all in my opinion, if you like Savage action, then just buy one and build whatever you desire... Here's interesting link about LRPV and what I had to deal with ;-) Criterion Barrel on Savage LRPV — Pre-Fit Does the Trick « Daily Bulletin

I personally no longer expect to get a good barrel from anyone except those for whom it is their final product. I have a few different Shilen barrels (and more on order) and all of mine have shot 1/2MOA or better before I got 50 rounds down the pipe.

The OP should seriously consider finding a nice used donor rifle that is set up how he wants it. Try to get all the features you want in your donor. In my case it is a stainless action, an accutrigger or target accutrigger and a laminate stock with a wide fore end. These were commonly sold as model 12 LPV (low profile varmint) and you can also find them configured similarly as 112 or 116 (long action models) if you need a long action.

Such a donor gun, complete, will run from $285 (blued with plastic stock) to about $600 for a barely used laminate stock model. Then get your Shilen, Criterion or other match barrel (I always want all machining done by the barrel maker, since a bad chambering job leaves you with a useless paperweight). Even iff you get the thicker recoil lug and stress relieved barrel nut, it takes the $350 price tag to $400 - still a bargain in the match barrel business.

In the end, expect to properly bed the action in the stock, and for somewhere between $650 and $950 (close to the price of a factory gun that is likely to disappoint) you will have an excellent shooting rifle that will not have you pulling your hair out. And the only part that you have to wait on is the barrel, and if you get lucky you might not have to wait on that either - Midway and Brownells carry a range of match barrels from Shilen too.

At this point the only new thing I will be buying when my ship comes in is a custom action, so that I can have the best of both worlds - prefit Savage Barrels and also Remington style triggers and Remington 700 compatible stocks. We are talking the Shilen action, which is in fact made by Stiller to Shilen specification.

We have 2 Savage LRPV in 22-250 1-12 twist and both shot excellent right out of the box. With 6 yrs of PD hunting with them and they still show no signs of slowing down.
We also have 4 Savage F/Class rifles and one Savage Palma rifle.
8 custom Savages too.

We had to tune the all but the LRPV, they were ready to go right out of the box. gun)

I stopped playing that game of chance, somehow I was getting lemons, I'm not denying that there are good ones which shoot MOA or less, but so far Savage failed to show that and I'm not spending my money to prove otherwise, so I used every single Savage rifle I had as donor also I got rid of their accutriger to Rifle Basix. Can you imagine when you ready to take a shot and rifle fails to fire, because safety mechanism on target accutriger locks on low settings and even when you find that spot when it doesn't lock, few shots down the road it will lock again

gun)I too had trigger problems with Target action accutrigger.
Set factory target action trigger at 10 ounces or remove red blade. You can install a $16.00 replacement spring and fix the problem too.

The only problem I ever had with Savage was pillars in stock didn't touch action, easy fix, knock them out, re-drill holes a little replace.

I have owned Savage since 1996 with a 112 VBSS 22-250 being first rifle.

I gave up my Remington custom 40x .223, my Ruger M-77's, My Browning rifles all for the ugly Savage rifles............Nothing would shoot with Savage except one Winchester 70 Varmint rifle..................We are taking 300-600 rounds a day for 5 days PD hunting.

Any custom barrel should be better than a factory barrel, but in most cases with Savage its been a tie.

I use Douglas, Brux, CBI, Bench Mark, and Savage Barrels.

Hi guys. New guy here. I was wondering if any of you have a Savage LRPV ?
Likes?
Dislikes?

I do!
I just finished mounting a new Weaver 8-32x50mm on it a couple of weeks ago.
I've been dealing with either a lot unseasonable rain or treacherous heat into the 90's with high humidity. Now rain is forecast for the next 5 days. Since it's 50 miles each way to the nearest range, I won't drive the distance hoping it won't be raining. That's an expensive trip if you can't shoot, so Im still waiting.
This rifle was built in their custom shop. Mine is has the Dual Port, Left Load, Right Eject, Single Shot action. Mine's chambered for the 22-250 with the 1 in 9 twist. It also has a 6 fluted SS barrel, which is different than the Savage website shows with only 4-flutes. I also opted to get the laminated Bench Rest stock with a 3" wide beavertail. This stock looks much better than the photo on their website. The photo also shows 3 slots on each side of the fore stock beginning just about where the rifling begins. I was pleasantly surprised to discover it has another 6 slots on the bottom of the stock in the same lateral location. Sitting on sandbags it's rock solid. Weighs a tad over 14.5 lbs. with the scope mounted. It also has the AccuTrigger which can be adjusted to 6 ounces.
I wished I could tell you how it shoots, but at the age of 72, it's not wise for an old fart like me to venture out for long periods of time in the heat we've had here lately.
As an afterthought I wished I'd ordered it with a 28" barrel & a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 twist.
As it is, it'll be suitable for me to shoot up 2700 rounds of Hornady & Sierra bullets.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.