Savage lrpv 6mm norma

Block City

looking to buy a long distant prairie dog rifle, i am looking at 6mm norma close , but i dont know what twist rate i should go with for prairie dogging , anyone with ideas for me would be appreciated ..... I like the long distance idea of 105 gr. Bullet but that seems like a lot of lead for tiny prairie dog to me. I would like to hear from you i need the help ...... Thanks ricky

The high BC 105 VLD's are less resistant to wind and generally have less drop. But they require a fast twist barrel, i.e. 7 - 8 twist. If you want to shoot lighter bullets, increase the twist rate to 9 - 10. PD's will not know the difference.

So i would probably be good to go with 1:12 twist rate its only offered in 1:8 and 1:12 twist , think i would be good to go with 12 what is biggest bullet i can go with the 12 twist yu think ?????

So i would probably be good to go with 1:12 twist rate its only offered in 1:8 and 1:12 twist , think i would be good to go with 12 what is biggest bullet i can go with the 12 twist yu think ?????

You'll only be able to shoot up to about an 87 grain bullet with the 1:12. I wouldn't limit yourself. If you want to shoot anything over 87grains, you will want the 1:8 twist. The 105-108 grain will require the tighter twist.

Tank

I shoot 107 smk's in my 6mmbr with great long range results. I also can shoot the 87 gr V-Max for more splat factor on prairie dogs. My rifle has a 1 in 8 twist. That is what I would go with as you can shoot the smaller bullets but have great long range potential with the larger ones as well.

Jeff

I called Savage today and i was told they would build anything i wanted in that LRPV 1:8 twist , 1:10 twist . or whatever for 100 dollars more , bull barrel or fluted barrel . duel port , or single shot with either side eject port . think im going with single shot , with left side load , i dont know about the duel port , i havent seen one work .

Mine is an 8 twist. with 105 bergers I have shot steel animals out to 1000 yards and am confident it would take prairie dogs out over 1200 yards. oh I did rechamber mine into a 243AI though.

What price is brass and shells for the 6mm norma , Is there that much differance in .243 to pay the differance in the shells for the accuracy ?

What is smallest bullet that shot good in the 1:8 barrel ? Why did you change the barrel to a 243AI ?
It shot the 87 grain bergers well didn't try any smaller. I changed to the AI for three reasons:
1. They are very accurate cartrages the 40 degree shoulder helps a consistant burn rate making all the AI's I own very good shooters (I went 243 instead of 6mm because of good brass) I use nosler brass.
2. After they are fireformed they need almost no attention and have great brass life.
3. I am getting great velocitys!!!! Friend has a 30" 7 twist 243AI and he is shooting 115 bergers and getting 3350fps! in my 26" 8 twist with the 105 3200fps is way better than a BR will do.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.