Savage LRH stock options

timmay

Can I drop in a Savage LRH long action and barrel into ...say a mcmillan A3 or A5 stock?
Im thinking of picking up a LRH Savage in 300 win mag but I hate the looks of the stock, plus I heard it doesnt hold up.
Savage has the fcp in a mcmillan stock so I thought Id be able to drop in the LRH?

McMillan does make stocks for Savage LA rifles, and Manners does as well. They are action specific so you will need to order it for your rifle, but they are available.

Can I drop in a Savage LRH long action and barrel into ...say a mcmillan A3 or A5 stock?
Im thinking of picking up a LRH Savage in 300 win mag but I hate the looks of the stock, plus I heard it doesnt hold up.
Savage has the fcp in a mcmillan stock so I thought Id be able to drop in the LRH?

I believe the Savage LRH has the Accustock, if so, your options are severely limited for aftermarket stocks. If you want to maximize your options skip the LRH and get a Savage or a Stevens with a notched barrel nut without the Accustock and modify to your liking.

Short actions tend to be the most popular for aftermarket stocks, especially for centerfeed Savages, however Stockade will build you a Long Action centerfeed stock if that's what you end up needing.

Stockade Gun Stocks - specializing in custom rifles

I believe the Savage LRH has the Accustock, if so, your options are severely limited. If you want to maximize your options skip LRH and get a Savage or a Stevens with a notched barrel nut without the Accustock and modify to your liking.

Short actions tend to be the most popular for aftermarket stocks, especially for centerfeed Savages, however Stockade Stockade Gun Stocks - specializing in custom rifles will cut a Long Action centerfeed if that's what you end up with.

I second the motion. The LRH is a good starting point, but if you want to modify, go with a cheaper model (which will still shoot well) and look in to a Stockade stock.

Tank

I have yet to really play with the accustocks for long enough to get a good feel for long term performance. Anyone have a feeling on them yet? I have heard really good things and really bad. I also heard that they changed the accustock and the new ones aren't good at all.

Any info?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.