Savage LRH 6.5x284

I know three people with Savage 6.5x284's. They all , including mine have an OAL of 3.18 to the lands with a 142 Sierra Match Kings. This works great for the Berger VLD's and Sierras.

Well we measured the throat again and again came up with 3.24 like before. We then loaded a dummy round and chambered it. Closed the bolt, pulled it out and it measured 3.255. I really don't understand how it can be longer but it is.

I did notice that the very front of the stock was touching the barrel on both sides. It almost looks like it was built up from the factory specifically to make contact. I did have two different loads that shot just under 1" so I am going to clean up that stock, load those two loads, shoot, and see if it makes any difference.

If that doesn't work, I think I'm just going to have a gunsmith set the barrel back just a touch. My buddy who is helping me with the reloading has a good friend who is a gunsmith who is going to take a look at it for me.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help. This whole process has been a great learning experience for me.

I also thought that the contact with the barrel could have been intentional but have two other Savage rifles that had contact, but at spots along the sides of the barrel. They did not appear intentional.

Before you set the barrel back, it might be a good idea to try a couple of other things as well.
It could have been lousy tecnique but I had variations when trying to get good throat info pushing bullets into the case until I started using the Hornady Lock and Load seating depth tool. My measurements are now within one or two thousandths.

I tested my loads using Berger 140's and Sierra 142 MK's. From in the lands to out 120. Best groups (under .5moa) were at 75 thousandths off the lands. In the lands to .010 out they were .75-1.0 inch groups.

You didn't mention if you broke in your barrel. My velocities tightened up after about 20 rounds in the break in process.

The barrel was broken in properly.

I'm going to clean up the stock, try a couple more loads using the JLK's and then switch to Bergers or Sierras if needed. I know I will get there eventually.

Thanks again.

Are any of you guys shooting the A-max and if so what's your loads and seating depths?
Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.