Savage Long Range Hunter stock

ShootnMathews

Well I couldn't stand the look and feel of my LRH stock anymore. The rubber coating that used to be awesome had broken down into the consistency of a sucker you find under the car seat and left a nasty residue in my hands. So I disassembled the rifle and used lacquer thinner and a wire brush to remove all of the rubber coating, rattle canned it desert sand, used a sea sponge and dark earth to give a little contrasting color, and then rattle canned 3 coats of matte clear on it. What do you think??

Attachments

• BCDC25B5-CACC-4E94-BE56-4E00C7A801DA.jpeg
    BCDC25B5-CACC-4E94-BE56-4E00C7A801DA.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 163
  • 4661A558-E084-4616-AC78-F5401F888567.jpeg
    4661A558-E084-4616-AC78-F5401F888567.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 170
I have one in 6.5 CM. I hate the rubber! May have to try this. I do like the cheek rest, but a foam pad on it would be nice.
Also been thinking of converting it to 6.5 PRC. Reducing the barrel weight and adding a lighter stock to turn it into my mountain rifle.

I have 3 Savage rifles and love them all. I have been experimenting with different cheek rest systems, but have not wanted to drill into the stock. How do you like the cheek rest? Nice looking paint ,👍
I love the cheek rest. Drilling the stock seems like a terrible thing to do as you're doing it. 😂 Like something inside is screaming "WHY ARE YOU DRILLING A HOLE IN YOUR RIFLE??? " BUT I LOVE these style of cheekrest. You can adjust it to fit you perfectly and get perfect eye alignment. Foam strap on pieces seem hit or miss with alignment and they move slightly. This way I have a positive weld perfectly aligned. This rifle actually came with this rest but after using them I have since made and added them to several of my rifles. This is my 308 savage that I made this piece for. They are super easy to make and shape with a heat n and thin walled PVC drain pipe.

Attachments

• DDB86332-060E-42D2-B86E-704F3C184586.jpeg
    DDB86332-060E-42D2-B86E-704F3C184586.jpeg
    545.8 KB · Views: 55
  • BEAB511B-DDAE-44CA-A93A-71310CD6754D.jpeg
    BEAB511B-DDAE-44CA-A93A-71310CD6754D.jpeg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 46
I have one in 6.5 CM. I hate the rubber! May have to try this. I do like the cheek rest, but a foam pad on it would be nice.
Also been thinking of converting it to 6.5 PRC. Reducing the barrel weight and adding a lighter stock to turn it into my mountain rifle.
I loved the grippy feel of the rubber but hated it once it turned gummy feeling

Got mine in 6.5x284 Norma. It was a problem child out of the box. The chamber wasn't cut correctly with serious headspace problem. Blew primers at 4 grains under max load for140 Berger VLD. Then the ejector went out. Sent it back to savage and waited two months. Calling to inquire about timeframe for repairs a customer service person said, wow, they have replaced everything but the action. Then said the gun Smith will be in contact with you when its shipped back. Three weeks later he calls and is very patronising. Accused me of blowing it up using reloaded ammo. I told him that I was 4 grains under max when it went bad. He then contradicts the customer service person saying he hadn't replaced everything. He lied. The barrel was scratched at the bottom edge where it meets the stock. Not any more. I was informed that it wouldn't be warranted again. It shot great when I got it back, accuracy was beyond good. Then it started having ejection issues again. Sold for a substantial loss.

Rosebud, that's not encouraging!
When they first came out Savage was having quality issues. Local GS had them stacked up to be repaired. I really wanted that rifle and cartridge combo. Now I've only heard good things about savage. But it left a bad taste in my mouth about them.I only own one at the present. A Axis ll in 22-250 with a heavy barrel. Replaced the trigger spring with a target spring. .It's now. 1.6 #. It shoots 52 grain Hammer Hunters at just under 4000 FPS. Very accurate.

This Saturday I pulled out the old Savage stock that stuck to my hand like an old melted sucker and removed the sticky glue in about 10 minutes using Goof Off spray, applied it twice and then cleaned the stock with Ajax, it worked great.

This Saturday I pulled out the old Savage stock that stuck to my hand like an old melted sucker and removed the sticky glue in about 10 minutes using Goof Off spray, applied it twice and then cleaned the stock with Ajax, it worked great.
Yeah there's nothing wrong with them really. Savage sent me the new stock but I'll definitely keep my old one.