Savage Long Range Hunter Rifle Review

ADMIN

Administrator
The Savage LRH has been around several years, enough time to let Savage do some fine tuning to meet the needs and desires of the long range crowd. When they first came out, Savage sent a rifle for review. This rifle was in one of our favorite calibers for long distance, the 6.5x284. I kept the rifle for quite a while to see exactly what I could get in the way of accuracy out of the 6.5x284. Now usually I can find that sweet spot for the best accuracy and velocity. This takes a lot of trial and error with powders, bullets and overall lengths. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Savage Long Range Hunter Rifle Review, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Thanks for the great review John!!! While My primary LR Rifle in 6.5-284 has been a Cooper, I was fortunate to win a Savage LRH in the same caliber at an Egg Shoot when it was first introduced a few years ago. Like yourself, I was pleasantly surprised with the rifle. The first thing I did with the rifle was to sand the smallish contact point at the end of the forearm to free float the barrel. Once done, my groups shrank to .25MOA with the 140 Berger VLD's at 3015FPS. It has performed superbly without even the need to adjust my zero since initial set up. I would add that my brake has been frozen in the on position since the first outing. I have just left it and it has had no effect. This rifle is a real sleeper and and excellent performer at an affordable price.

i enjoyed your article on the Savage LRH. i was disappointed at first to read the 6.5x284 performed so badly, i expect better from Savage. i have several Savage rifles and after finding the right loads for them they shoot incredible. i hope they get the bugs worked out of the manufacturing process in the future.

Bruce

I like the 260 and use it for across the course and long range, but have concerns about using it for long range. With 140 gr bullets, at about 500 yds, it drops below one thousand foot lbs of energy. That is like using a 30-30 at 200 yds.! If you are going to carry a 10lbs rifle up a mountain I have a few thoughts: Go to a larger caliber, heaver bullet and more powder, have the outfitter pack the rifle up to the top of the mountain for you or hire help to carry it. If none of this appeals to you, use your Winchester 30-30 with iron sights and learn how to stalk.

You make some good points but I never said it was a mountain rifle. The weight is appreciated while sitting at a bench for 20-40 rounds. Personally I think the .260 is a better performing round with 130gr bullets. We all should buy our rifles for their intended use whether a .260 or .30-30 or a .300 RUM.

I love mine in 300WM, I shot it with or without the brake and I did not see a difference in accuracy. Its a great rifle, it is a little heavy but I can man up.

You make some good points but I never said it was a mountain rifle. The weight is appreciated while sitting at a bench for 20-40 rounds. Personally I think the .260 is a better performing round with 130gr bullets. We all should buy our rifles for their intended use whether a .260 or .30-30 or a .300 RUM.
Right on! While I have several heavy .260's I now have own a very light and not particularly accurate Remington Model 7 for deer or just carrying around in the car, but for that it is just fine.

I found the article very interesting. The significant points I noted were that the muzzle brake isn't very effective. Looking at it I would expect it would not be compared to say a 4 port muscle brake or one of Kirby's painkillers. Also I didn't know that the rifle had an aluminum bedding block.

I have 5 Savages running from a 223 Rem to 300 RUM and several barrels and bolt heads to modify them as needed. This one looks like it would be a great addition. All my Savage barrels are 26" varmit contour or heavier so I'd pull any barrel it came with an screw in a custom. I'm thinking this might be a good platform for a 26 Nosler.

Thanks for a great article. I'm totally new here as this is my first post and a lengthy question it is. I have the 111 LRH in 300 wm and am currenty pulling things together for what I hope will be a fine set up. Regarding after market stocks, the bolt release in the trigger guard and hinged floor plate preclude using most of the stocks I've looked at. I like the Choate Ultimate sniper for most of its features, especially the grip, cheek and butt set-up. My question is: am I spinning my wheels looking for something that is better than what Savage has already done, just to get a thumbhole/pistol grip? I'm thinking it might be a matter of diminishing returns concerning comfort and accuracy. Has anyone done what I'm wanting to do? Was it perhaps a wasted effort. Your thoughts?

I have been right where you are now. I have built a few custom Savages. I personally think that the Long Range Hunter will fill most of your wish list. I have not seen too many stocks that have such an extensive amount of aluminum bedding. The best part in the long hall it will be cheaper just to buy the LRH. By the way there is a great web site for Savage Shooters, a lot of good info there. Good luck!

I like the 260 and use it for across the course and long range, but have concerns about using it for long range. With 140 gr bullets, at about 500 yds, it drops below one thousand foot lbs of energy. That is like using a 30-30 at 200 yds.! If you are going to carry a 10lbs rifle up a mountain I have a few thoughts: Go to a larger caliber, heaver bullet and more powder, have the outfitter pack the rifle up to the top of the mountain for you or hire help to carry it. If none of this appeals to you, use your Winchester 30-30 with iron sights and learn how to stalk.

I'm not sure how slow your loads are but my Creedmoor maintains 1000 foot lbs of energy out to 925 yards when using a 140 Berger at 2825 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.