savage long range build questions

brandon22

OK i recently got a savage 270 wsm i am going to re barrel it with a shilen and i am ordering a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist 2 from stocky's. my question to all of you is should i re barrel it to 7mm wsm, 6.5wsm or 270wsm.

i have read the 6.5 wsm eats barrels in 500 shots

im leaning torward the 7mm wsm or is that to big for a short action to load the berger 180gr

If I were you.... which I'm not:D, I would stick with the 270WSM. It seems to defy all odds when it comes to ballistics. You can purchase some high BC bullets through Matrix bullets, and Cutting Edge Bullets. The Hornady 150 SST will work considerably well. If none of these tickle your fancey, then I would suggest going with the 7WSM.

Tank

I would lean towards the 270 or 7mm WSM's. You can get a wider selection of bullets for the 7 with the 168 Berger VLD being very effective for long range work.

OK i recently got a savage 270 wsm i am going to re barrel it with a shilen and i am ordering a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist 2 from stocky's. my question to all of you is should i re barrel it to 7mm wsm, 6.5wsm or 270wsm.

i have read the 6.5 wsm eats barrels in 500 shots

im leaning torward the 7mm wsm or is that to big for a short action to load the berger 180gr

I've been shooting a Savage 270 WSM in a B&C stock for several years now, it's kinda turned into a quest for perfecting it.
A quick run down of the WSM's you listed, the 6.5 should be all kinds of awesome but it seems to be finicky and low barrel lifed and if you find a bullet that can be launched at it's capability your shooting bullets that really aren't that interesting other than maybe the Cutting Edge bullets, good brass can be had from 270 WSM Norma brass.

The 270 WSM has in the past suffered from run of the mill 270 bullets but recently there has been some attention given to the heavier end so we have Matrix ballistics coming with the 165 and 175 VLD and Berger will have the 170gr VLD any time and one other bullet that is in the near future, all four with a BC of .650+, you also have excellent Norma brass and the capability to push them in the 3000-3100fps range with extreame accuracy and easy loading.

The 7WSM has awesome bullets also but lacks the brass and the case is longer than the other WSM's which make it more of an issue to run through the mag with decent bullet possition. No good brass exists for the 7WSM without forming and firing 300 brass.

All three with optimum bullet position will be difficult to mag feed but you can still seat them to mag length in the 270 and get good performance you just seat the bullet a little deaper than perfection. I shoot my 270 WSM with excellent LR bullet well past a mile with good performance!

I would 270 wsm it. Now that there are bullets out the 270 is going to be exploited finally. Im looking at both a shortmag and an ultramag. Shortmag in an AR. The 270 has always been a magic caliber just not past 400. Now its on! Bergers 170 is going to be over 1K in energy well past 1k in the shorty and 1700 fpe at 1k in the big one.

our first test with the 6.5wsm Imp will be in a 1:8.7" twist barrel, reamer was ordered with a radious neck/shoulder junction and we believe this will pass the life of the 264wm and with the 8.7" twist we're hoping to see 3350fps with a 140 berger from a 27" barrel without any jacket distortion, if it doesn't work we will either slow them down a little or rifle a 9.1" twist barrel. The new 270 pills should be great, but the bergers require a faster than normal twist rate, I know in most cases the 165 Matrix will stabilize in a 10 twist but a 1:9.5" would do it some good as well. If I wasn't wanting a wildcat I would go with a straight 300WSM, if I was doing a wildcat and didn't like the idea of the 6.5 I would do a 7x300wsm. I wouldn't use a Shilen barrel either, but everyone has there opinion on that as well.

what barrel would you recommend and i am open to suggestions on other calibers to they just have to fit in short action

Barrel makers I have used are Douglas, Lothar Walther, and Benchmark. Benchmark barrels seem to be very accurate. My cousin has twp of them now. One holers for sure. The Lothar is a good barrel, but poor customer service. That enough will steer me away from my next barrel from them. No shame for the Douglas. It's a 338 Lapua, has been very accurate especially on cold bore shots. We have been able to calculate, dial in, and land good hits on steel to 1100yds without any issues. Of the 3, my next will more than likely be a Benchmark.

Caliber is totally up to you. I have been leaning toward the 300 RSAUM after having an opportunity to shoot and load for a friend of mine.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.