Savage Lightweight Hunter 7-08

Zen Archery

Just got invited to my second trip in the hills of Colorado.
First trips archery season.
Second trip packing a bolt gun.
Looking into the Savage Lightweight Series in 7-08.
From what I have read the rifle is pretty much 1 MOA boxed ammo. SUB Moa for hand loads.
My question isn't about the shoot ability of Savage but ruggedness.

Anyone pack one of these for 10 days in the hills?
We're in rugged country, back packing 95% of the time glassing, hiking, hunting, and camping out.
Probability of rain and snow is high.
What are the likes and dislikes.
Any regrets?

Never backpacked with this rifle, but it is one of my favorite rifles. I have two. I like the wood stock over the synthetic. It really does not add that much weight and its more robust. The only thing I would change on this is a 22" barrel. Check the twist on the 7-08. Savages are known for slower twist and may not like the heavier bullets.

Love my Savages,remember well,back in the day before the internet,we used to pick up flat back 110's for basically beer money?A little clunky but were/are,fine shooters in the field.Have an old one that I put a 7-08 brrl on.

But,in '16,bought a new R700,stainless SPS 24" 7-08(std brrl profile).Luck of the draw on new Remington quality,is due'ly noted.This example has been my EDC rifle for a year and a half.Never more than barely out of my sight,writing this it's about 15' away.

Did some work on the tupperware factory stock,along with a nice "prepped" and sprayed(we have a 600 sq ft spraybooth,with all the bells N whistles) lichen Oak pale green/spiderweb catalyzed finish.Luepold 1-4X20. It's lite,very fast to the shoulder and swings well.

Bought the factory neoprene scope cover and have drug it through some pretty rough mnt hunting chores.Love the 24" brrl.Good luck with your project.

Tagging in. I just got the same rifle for the same hunt. The stock seems a little flimsy (as expected). I don't forsee any issues but am curious to see others experience :)

I did use it for deer this year in PA. No backpacking but man was it fun to carry :D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.