• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Savage Jeweled bolt body

Might try here if you don't find a used one

Might try here if you don't find a used one

Seems to be the only place I could find that had one. They also sell the fluted version I'm wanting to replace and the reviews say how smooth it is. Going to call Savage tomorrow and see if they can correct it, if not I'll order this one.

Seems to be the only place I could find that had one. They also sell the fluted version I'm wanting to replace and the reviews say how smooth it is.
The fluted ones aren't bad once they're broken in, but when new the edges are sharp and catch on the action for a while. I haven't done it but I've heard others have smoothed them out using lapping compound and cycling the action a couple hundred times.

I had a couple of the Stainless Lightweight actions and the flutes are sharp, not as bad once worn in a bit, but still not as slick as a smooth bolt.

I think it's a combination of the centerfeed and sharp flutes, I am wondering if you convert to the older style staggerfeed magazine or Savage would convert to the opposite twist on the flutes if that wouldn't improve things.

Jason, you are not alone, this seems to be a common complaint.

I'll try lapping compound to smooth it out. Probably go ahead and order a smooth bolt anyway. It's purely for looks and weight. I believe it's 1.5oz different between the two.