Savage Impulse Big Game Rifle

Anyone shooting it? I'm a big fan of the straight-pull bolt guns this one looks like a winner in my book but, until I get one on the range you never know.

1623714277796.png

Anyone shooting it? I'm a big fan of the straight-pull bolt guns this one looks like a winner in my book but, until I get one on the range you never know.

View attachment 279655
Yes.. I have the Big Game in 6.5 CR... I'm actually using it with thermal. I must admit that first night out I was slow with it the first two shots. In the moment, I tried to revert to traditional bolt action and lifted without success. After a little time it became really easy. As far as the rifle; I would say it is a winner! Love what savage has been doing with adjustable components. This rifle is heavy however! with a thermal and suppressor, I am guessing somewhere around 11 pounds and front heavy. Thats no big deal on tripod but free hand you better hit weight room. I sighted rifle in at 100, 200, & 300 with thermal and it shot absolutely amazing. Even in daytime thermal sighting, I was getting right around moa at 300 if not under. That is pretty amazing with thermals.
All said and done, I am extremely happy with this rifle. I am considering swapping long range set up onto this rifle and moving another rifle into thermal set up.

Yes.. I have the Big Game in 6.5 CR... I'm actually using it with thermal. I must admit that first night out I was slow with it the first two shots. In the moment, I tried to revert to traditional bolt action and lifted without success. After a little time it became really easy. As far as the rifle; I would say it is a winner! Love what savage has been doing with adjustable components. This rifle is heavy however! with a thermal and suppressor, I am guessing somewhere around 11 pounds and front heavy. Thats no big deal on tripod but free hand you better hit weight room. I sighted rifle in at 100, 200, & 300 with thermal and it shot absolutely amazing. Even in daytime thermal sighting, I was getting right around moa at 300 if not under. That is pretty amazing with thermals.
All said and done, I am extremely happy with this rifle. I am considering swapping long range set up onto this rifle and moving another rifle into thermal set up.
Great sitrep on the rifle. I was thinking about one for a fast red dot setup for Whitetail and so forth. I do like the concept of the straight-pull bolt, like my Swede K31 I've shot a friend's Mauser M1996 not long ago and loved it. I've always found Savage rifles to be spot on for the most part, and when they get it right, they get it right! Thanks again... cheers and good luck.

The Impulse is interesting for sure, I hope it works out for them, but my only problem is how heavy it is, and which caliber would I choose if I were to buy one.

The Impulse is interesting for sure, I hope it works out for them, but my only problem is how heavy it is, and which caliber would I choose if I were to buy one.
Interesting question/thought "which caliber" in the Savage Impulse? Me personally and for the type of hunting, I'd buy it for, Whitetail... I'd want something with enough energy of course, but... with the lightest recoiling rifle cartridge they provide, kick it up a notch... if I could pick any cartridge I think I'd go with; 6XC and my second choice would be the ubiquitous .308 Win with my hand loads. Just my pick guys we all have our favorites what's yours? Cheers.

Is it easier to stay on target when cycling cartridges vs a bolt?
Wonder if a carbon barrel would lighten that up....

If you're loaded in to your gun, it won't matter a lick either way except when compared to unmodified savages and other rifles with really silly heavy cock-on-open bolt systems. Unmodified Savage 10/110 type rifles with super heavy unlocking there's just not much you can do with as far as keeping on the target during cycling even when heavily loaded into on a bipod and rear bag. Cock on close actions and likkity slikkity cock-on-open bolts like you get on fine full customs (such as Defiance actions) and even just the smoother opening actions like R700's and Howa 1500's there'll be so little actual difference as to make the point moot. If you're not loaded in to the gun pretty heavily it won't help a lick anyway. Lightening up a rifle will only exacerbate the issue of moving off target during cycling however I don't think that's what Bob was getting at on his "lighten that up..." comment. I think he was getting at the pretty tall overall weight of the bloody Impulse to begin with and there, I'm certain that a CF barrel would help the weight issue generally.

Interesting question/thought "which caliber" in the Savage Impulse? Me personally and for the type of hunting, I'd buy it for, Whitetail... I'd want something with enough energy of course, but... with the lightest recoiling rifle cartridge they provide, kick it up a notch... if I could pick any cartridge I think I'd go with; 6XC and my second choice would be the ubiquitous .308 Win with my hand loads. Just my pick guys we all have our favorites what's yours? Cheers.
I know it hasn't been a big seller but, I would have loved to see the 338 federal as an option.

If you're loaded in to your gun, it won't matter a lick either way except when compared to unmodified savages and other rifles with really silly heavy cock-on-open bolt systems. Unmodified Savage 10/110 type rifles with super heavy unlocking there's just not much you can do with as far as keeping on the target during cycling even when heavily loaded into on a bipod and rear bag. Cock on close actions and likkity slikkity cock-on-open bolts like you get on fine full customs (such as Defiance actions) and even just the smoother opening actions like R700's and Howa 1500's there'll be so little actual difference as to make the point moot. If you're not loaded in to the gun pretty heavily it won't help a lick anyway. Lightening up a rifle will only exacerbate the issue of moving off target during cycling however I don't think that's what Bob was getting at on his "lighten that up..." comment. I think he was getting at the pretty tall overall weight of the bloody Impulse to begin with and there, I'm certain that a CF barrel would help the weight issue generally.
Actually you had it right. My RR s/n R700 has a heavy "bolt opening" torque. I got to work on that!
Seems like the straight pull Impulse would be better than a bolt rotating and lightening up the weight of the gun in the barrel would help a little with a carbon wrapped system.

Would love one in the Creedmoor calibre.

I know it hasn't been a big seller but, I would have loved to see the 338 federal as an option.
I think the .338 Federal would be a great cartridge in that rifle, again especially for fast action shooting, and with this cartridge for a little harder-to-kill game at closer ranges., not that a .338 Fed can reach out to a respectable distance.

You know when I was on the rest it was definitely easier to keep target in scope while cycling… I believe that to be the best benefit of the rifle. Even over speed which was minimally faster than full bolt.. I do occasionally do some extreme hiking type hunts for goats and a rifle this heavy might not be my first choice but I would take it nevertheless… (manhood test I guess) it's a really good rifle so far

I found it absolutely easier to keep target in sight picture while shooting from a rest. I felt the rifles weight and the straight pull both helped with this… to me this is the rifle greatest benefit (even more than speed performance) I saw several reviews of guys shooting them as fast as semi autos or at least close, I don't have enough time behind the gun to replicate that however.. I do some fairly extreme hiking hunts and the weight of this gun would challenge your manhood for that type of goat hunting… but hell I like that challenge sometimes so I might try it someday.. not sure how much lighter carbon barrels would be… it comes with fairly heavy profiled barrel but fluted

Recent Posts