Savage headspace question

DennisH8706

So I re-barreled my savage rifle the way I always have but there's a possible problem. I set my FL die up so that the ram cams over slightly on the die at the top of it's stroke. FL sized 4 pieces of once fired brass. Placed one piece of clear packaging tape on the case head (.003" aprox.) of the FL sized brass and used that as my "Go-gauge." I placed another piece of tape on the case head (.006" total aprox.) and used that as my "No Go-gauge." I tested two pieces of brass for each Go and No-Go. Now the potential problem is I have two factory loaded rounds that will not chamber. One is Lake City and the other is remington. They're both pretty old but are clean. They will go into the chamber but the bolt stops at the 3'oclock position. I don't really plan on shooting factory ammo out of my rifle but it would be nice to have that option. It will only be fed reloads.

Why is it that the factory ammo won't chamber but all my brass chambers fine. Is it because I set up my headspace to match my dies?

I used the exact same method to headspace my .223 savage and it will shoot factory ammo and reloads just fine. I'm temped to get a go gauge but I'm stubborn and cheap.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

I think that using headspacing on the cam over of your dye is the issue. In my experience, the measurement of the head space on cases can vary quite a lot based upon the degree of cam over. The headspace measurement can be very sensitive to small changes. Your cam over setting on your dye may be too light for your factory spec loads. It would be better to set the headspace of your chamber to the factory spec headspace, then adjust your dye to set the proper headspace. If you are only going to use your reloads, you are probably ok, but do loose the flexibility of shooting factory ammo.

SAAMI calls for the go at min. and the no go at pluss .010. Since the millitary calls + .010 a max field gage. Years ago Red Elliotte, Kieth Francis, P.O.Ackely and my self being taught by these gents changend most all shops to adapt to better chambers and I still teach this today . A go is min a no go is pluss .005 ( not all but most) and the feild gauge is pluss .010. On gas guns the go is pluss .0015 and the no go will differ per company. Thanks Dave Kiff

SAAMI calls for the go at min. and the no go at pluss .010. Since the millitary calls + .010 a max field gage. Years ago Red Elliotte, Kieth Francis, P.O.Ackely and my self being taught by these gents changend most all shops to adapt to better chambers and I still teach this today . A go is min a no go is pluss .005 ( not all but most) and the feild gauge is pluss .010. On gas guns the go is pluss .0015 and the no go will differ per company. Thanks Dave Kiff

Welcome to LRH! I didn't want to assume anything but are you from PT&G.

Ed

I did the tape thing as well, I now own a go and no-go gauge for both my savage rifles, different calibers. I did not want things to bo K-plewie when they were only suposed to go bang.
I'm cheap but this isn't where I will cheap out. The gauges are not all that much money. After all my kids, friends and their kids shoot these guns too.

Dino

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.