Savage fcp-k WHERE can I get one???/ savage hog hunter

Get a savage used. If you can find one with a mag bolt head, it's just a bonus. They aren't hard to work on. I've built a few now with good results. Get yourself an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench. If you get a barrel that is pre-threaded, then buy a "Big Chubby" muzzle break. No timing necessary. They work great. Make sure you time the bolt. You only want .050"-.055" protrusion of the firing pin from the bolt face. As far as a stock, if you don't mind waiting, buy a stock from Stockade Stocks. They are very nice. The Bell & Carlson sticks are nice. You can get the A5 fully adjustable now for mag fed savages now. I had the A2, but it's for a blind mag.

Tank I appriciate the advise and that's what I'm starting to consider doing the only problem is I live in a place where guns, especially used ones, are hard to come by. I think I could do the barrel swap but don't have all the tools. I've been thinking about doing a 300 WSM. Do I have to have a special short action for a Magnum or are they the same no matter the caliber?

Tank I appriciate the advise and that's what I'm starting to consider doing the only problem is I live in a place where guns, especially used ones, are hard to come by. I think I could do the barrel swap but don't have all the tools. I've been thinking about doing a 300 WSM. Do I have to have a special short action for a Magnum or are they the same no matter the caliber?

They are all the same. Do yourself a favor and get a long action for the WSM. You start putting heavy bullets in and the short actions mags won't work unless you seat the bullets deep. That is usually .060-.080" off the rifiling. Short actions will work though. If you plan to stay with typical hunting bullets in the 150-180 range, then you'll be ok in the short action.

They are all the same. Do yourself a favor and get a long action for the WSM. You start putting heavy bullets in and the short actions mags won't work unless you seat the bullets deep. That is usually .060-.080" off the rifiling. Short actions will work though. If you plan to stay with typical hunting bullets in the 150-180 range, then you'll be ok in the short action.

My plan was to shoot the heavier vld type bullets. Like I said this will not be a hunting rifle but a hard hitting steel shooter. Now what about the bolt? What size bolt face does the 300 wsm have?

My plan was to shoot the heavier vld type bullets. Like I said this will not be a hunting rifle but a hard hitting steel shooter. Now what about the bolt? What size bolt face does the 300 wsm have?

.537 bolt face. Short action will work for heavies and single feeding no problem. That is what I do with my .308 when seat to the lands. Nice thing about the short action is the availability of stock options. If your just shooting steel, don't be fused with a detachable magazine. If you find one, cool, but isn't necessary. I would suggest 185 juggernauts or any 200 gem class bullet.

This may not be what you are looking for, but have you considered / looked at the 10/110 FCP / HS Precision?

This.

Barrel threading cost me $40 by a local smith and another ~$100 for a JPE brake. Once you shoot it with the HSP stock you won't like the accustock anymore. Ask me how I know.

That's a slick looking gun! That's what I'm going for is something along those lines. I contacted savages custom shop last night to see what it would cost to have a gun built. Anybody ever ordered a custom through them?

That's a slick looking gun! That's what I'm going for is something along those lines. I contacted savages custom shop last night to see what it would cost to have a gun built. Anybody ever ordered a custom through them?

They'll do anything you want but they mark it up a lot. They wanted $1600 to put the varmint contour barrel in the HS Precision stock. Same action. Either way you look at it you can't go wrong.

Not bad for 200 yards with Winchester SuperX 180gr factory ammo... I just pulled the last one on the left.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.