Savage convert to 270 AM

1kstr

Like a kid waiting for Christmas morning the package arrived Saturday afternoon after being out in the "makeup" room in Montana for awhile.

My shooting partner and I had spent a year researching ideas about guns in order to meet our goal of getting into the mile long club. We chose Kirby to build our gun and shipped off our Savage BVSS in 300WM to him and have it converted to a 270 AM. We chose the 270 because of our familiarity with the 300RUM and the ease of forming brass, etc.

We chose to go with a 30" Lilja fluted barrel with muzzle brake. Kirby pillar bedded the stock, accurized the reciever, installed the Holland comp recoil lug and matte finished the metal.

Here are some pics of the convert.

270AM001.jpg

270AM002.jpg

270AM003.jpg

270AM004.jpg

As you can see by the pics, another fine piece of work by APS! Now we work on fire forming and load developement. I will post results as they become available.
I see I need to fix the date on the camera.

Last edited:
Congratulations on a great looking gun.;)

I don't know if that little pipsqueak 270 AM has the horsepower to get to one mile though.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Just kidding. You'll like the 270 AM and it'll do the job if you drive it right.

Looks like the scope base is leaning down a little.:) How many moa in the base?

What bullets you planning on using and what's your intended "one mile target/critter"?

That is a Ken Ferrel 20 MOA base and on top is a Leupold VXlll 8.5x25x50. We plan on trying the Wildcat 169.5 gr. bullets for now. Mostly plan on shooting smaller critters with it. But it may find its way set up for deer over an alfalfa field too. When we get the load figured out I hope to get it out this fall yet and find a long range target. Someone said there are rabbits aplenty in NM. Might have to load her up and head south for a few days....
WG

Last edited:
I will repeat what has been said earlier in some other threads relating to working with Kirby. Class act. Every question was answered timely and the project came in right on the original budget/quote. Thanks Kirby!
WG

Roy-Quote: By darn I knew that somewhere in all my BS there was something decent that I knew.

I've got my parabolic mic pointed in your direction. I fully expect to here that Boom! Thwack! from here!

I want to put one of those 169s in the shoulder of an elk so bad I can't sleep!"

Roy: Have you tried counting them. You could try to get to 169 or 270. There have been worse cases of why a guy can't sleep.

Been raining here so haven't gotten very far with fire forming etc. Hopefully this weekend.
WG

Roy:
We did nix the Nosler idea. Went with the 7mm UM Rem brass and that is definately easier to work with. Thanks for the pointer! We are still fire forming at this point. Hope to get some of the real deal loads done up this weekend. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.
1kstr

Very nice looking gun.
I am curious about barrel shank diameter and length
barrel length muzzle diameter and the weight as pictured.
James

James:
Full shank diameter length is 4.115" and a shank diameter of 1.250". 30.5"
Lilja barrel, including brake, coming to a .875" diameter at the muzzle. The weight as seen is 14lbs-2oz.

The gun sits nicely in bags/rest and should be a joy to shoot (it was in its previous life). Still working on fireforming loads but soon should have some actual Wildcats shot down the tube.
1kstr

HR:
For me there wasn't an underlying reason other than asctetics. Kirby may have, and I believe it was more of a bedding surface and usable barrel dia.(rigid) for him in suggesting it, but I didn't. Just asctetics for me was enough of a reason. He gave us alot of alternatives/suggestions when doing this project. They made sense so we did them, if it worked out that it also made the gun look better, we were all in. So as far as I know it wasnt a space for chamber issue.
1kstr

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts