Savage chamber depth

1maxhunter

Would like to know what depth the is from the back of the cartridge face to the back of the barrel on pre fit savage barrels? I must be missing something cuz I'm not finding any info on this and is the depth cartridge specific? I'm still gona headspace with the nut but can't find the protrusion depth. Thanks

The back of the Savage barrel basically sets flush with the top of the cannelure on the cartridge. A Savage barrel is not recessed like a Remmington barrel.

You can in NO way use a measurement.like this to headspace though as the length of the cartridge from base to shoulder varies with each cartridge. The size of the cannelure even varies between different brands of brass and from lot to lot. Do you understand why a set of go/no-go gauges are needed to install a Savage barrel?

300 WSW Savage barrel with cartridge:

Attachments

• 1467385287622-1498810609.jpg
    1467385287622-1498810609.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
So are you saying to use the same area on the go no go to set the depth. Or a new case? I understand using a go no go when the barrel is in the action

I am not sure I fully understand what you are asking here. I was trying to answer your first question: "Would like to know what depth the is from the back of the cartridge face to the back of the barrel on prefit savage barrels?"

I am NOT suggesting that you use a new case to headspace a Savage prefit barrel. There are some excellent vids on Youtube explaining in detail the process of headspacing and installing a Savage prefit barrel. Sometime a pictures is worth a 1000 words.:)

Yes I am going to three and chamber myself but if what you said is true about how deep the case goes into the chamber and going up to the case head taper then that makes sense . Thank you. I understand head spacing when putting the gun together.

Shoot for approx. .010-.020 between the bolt head and the barrel face....This usually is about .120-.125 protrusion of the go-gauge out from the barrel face (with .473 head size cartridges).....if you do chamber too deep the bolt face will touch the barrel and you will not be able to headspace correctly....Luckily all you have to do is face off the barrel a little to correct it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.