Savage Build Problem

HuntnID

So I have built a 260 Rem with a Savage 110 action. I used a Pac-Nor barrel. It has a Bell&Carlson Duramaxx stock. I have got the barrel broken in and now, shooting groups, it will shoot bullets where the holes are touching but every few shots, it send one about 4 or 5 inches high. I couldn't figure out what causes it. The barrel is completely floated. Could the recoil lug be the cause of this? It is the factory lug and it doesn't look like it makes good flush contact near the top of the action.

I am shooting 130 Grain Berger VLDs with 39 grains of IMR4350. The shooting I'm doing is at 100 yds. I have checked the scope mounts. They were tight. I have had good luck with vortex scopes in the past but I will give that a try too. Any more ideas?

Wow. I was gonna say it could be variation in factory load but that just got blown to Hades!:D

How's the stock fit around the bolt handle? I had a stick one time that was doing the same sort of thing. I found out that the handle was touching the stock a little if I didn't have the bolt fully down. I took a little sandpaper to it and it's shot straight ever sense.

I will look at it. There isn't any obvious contact but who knows. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope that the fix is that easy.

Things to Check:
Is the Tang Floated?
Is the Bolt Handle touching the Stock?
Is the gun actually recoiling against the lug or against the screws? (Action Bedded?)
Is the front scope Base screw bottoming out against the barrel?
Is the scope base touching the Lug?
Tight Scope Mounting-everything?
Possible the Recoil Lug is bent?...it can happen on factory lugs
How much flex in the stock-Can it touch the barrel under recoil?
How is your bench technique?
Not using Mixed headstamp brass are you?
Do the same cases always make the flyers?

Hope something there helps!

Thanks for all the tips Forester. Will different brass manufacturers really make that much of a difference? That could be the problem if so. I'm thinking it could be the lack of bedding. I've never bedded anything so I'm trying to figure out if I should try it myself or have somebody do it.

Thanks for all the tips Forester. Will different brass manufacturers really make that much of a difference? That could be the problem if so. I'm thinking it could be the lack of bedding. I've never bedded anything so I'm trying to figure out if I should try it myself or have somebody do it.

Yes, different brands of brass can shoot dramatically different. Case capacity, hardness, and neck tension are all almost sure to vary enough to matter.

Bedding is something that takes practice, but it is not hard. Do some searching here, and on 6BR and read a bunch before you start. If you can repaint your living room and get good results you can bed your rifle, it is all about preparation and attention to details.

I have bedded about a dozen rifles now, that includes re-doing some of my early efforts because they are no longer acceptable to me. It can really make a difference too. I bedded an older Savage .223 for a friend and it went from 3.5 inches at 200yrds to 1inch.

Well...I was running through the list that you gave me and I noticed that that tang wasn't floated. I sanded it down a little bit and finally got to shoot it today. It shot right at an inch. I was in a hurry so I couldn't stay long. When I got home I noticed that that tang wasn't 'as' floated as it was so I could probably float it a little bit more, bed it, and shoot some more forgiving bullets and I could have this baby licked. Thank you for the help.

What do you mean" it wasnt as floated as it was"? This sounds like something definately moved, which could be your whole problem. Id hog out the tand and make sure it is floated.

Try loosening the action screws, standing the rifle up on the butt, and re-tightening the action screws a little at a time, alternating between the 2. This should allow the recoil lug to fall back and make an even contact on the stock. Then once everything is nice and tight, double check the barrel and tang for being floated. A dollar bill of pc of paper should slide under it(itll only go under the tang bout a 1/2 inch cause itll hit the trigger). Also once everything is tight see if the barrel is centered in the barrel channel. If not then a bedding job could be in order.

It was floated and afterwards there was one little spot that just barely touching in the corner. I'm definitely gonna bed it now.

Don't mess with the tang any more till it's bedded or you'll end up with a huge gap. I wrap electrical tap around the tang and barrel to set my clearance when bedding that way when you lock it down after bedding you have perfect clearance all the way though the rifle.
I had a piece of bedding break out on the back RH corner and when I torqued down the action the tang touched on the RH side, I went from a sub 1/2 MOA rifle to 4-5 in wandering, after fixing it back to what it should be.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.