Savage bolt head build question

spikehunter

Ok I have the option to get a 116 savage long action, but it comes with the 30-06 bolt head. I'm looking to build a 7 wsm or maybe even a 338 edge or 338-300 win mag. Can I just buy the proper size bolt head or do I need to get a whole new bolt for this application? What would be some good long range alternative calipers for up to 1000 yr deer hunting with that bolt face?

alternative calibers; 280, 280ai, 30-06ai, 30-06 (with heavy bullets and a 28" barrrel), any of the JDJ cartridges based on the 30-06. those should get you started. o, and the sherman line of cartridges. someone please correct my spelling of the names.

Ok I have the option to get a 116 savage long action, but it comes with the 30-06 bolt head. I'm looking to build a 7 wsm or maybe even a 338 edge or 338-300 win mag. Can I just buy the proper size bolt head or do I need to get a whole new bolt for this application? What would be some good long range alternative calipers for up to 1000 yr deer hunting with that bolt face?

Look at the 1st sticky above courtesy of JE Customs. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.