Savage axis issue

clemens

Just put my daughter's savage axis .308 In a boyds AT ONE adjustable stock. Stock fits fine, but when I was shooting it on Sunday I noticed bolt closed little stiff then after the shot bolt was stiff to raise (factory ammo) fed fusion 150gr. Case was stuck. I thought maybe front action screws was to long, yet I see no scratch marks on case or even on bolt. I loosened front screw it seemed to help some but case still sticks any ideas? Also maybe possibly some debri in chamber causing probem. Little piece of carbon maybe. Ideas would be helpful. I have used this ammo before with old stock and had n issue.

Try a different brand of ammunition . I've had same problem with federal fusion in different calibers.

I have a Savage Axis in .308 and have had constant feeding problems. Tried 5 different mags with the same problem. Different ammo did change things. Sometimes worse, sometimes a little better. Still not a gun I would trust. Talked to my gunsmith about the problem and he suggested a way to solve it. Get rid of the gun, and next time I'm looking for a cheap "truck gun" call him first, for a recommendation. Sounds like I'm not the only one to go through this problem. I did pick up a Ruger American and have had no problems at all. For a cheaper factory gun, it shoots way better than it should.
Anyone out there have Axis feeding problems and find a fix?

I'd give it a thorough cleaning if it was me.
I have a Savage Axis in .308 and have had constant feeding problems. Tried 5 different mags with the same problem. Different ammo did change things. Sometimes worse, sometimes a little better. Still not a gun I would trust. Talked to my gunsmith about the problem and he suggested a way to solve it. Get rid of the gun, and next time I'm looking for a cheap "truck gun" call him first, for a recommendation. Sounds like I'm not the only one to go through this problem. I did pick up a Ruger American and have had no problems at all. For a cheaper factory gun, it shoots way better than it should.
Anyone out there have Axis feeding problems and find a fix?
Cla
Cleaning on the agenda a well. Fed fine from magazine just issue with extraction, No problems with said fusion ammo till now been real accurate for what it is just no wants to give me issue's

Yes. Bolt works fine without the ammo. I am leaning towards something in chamber or action screw to long. Bolt popens and closes fine with action screw tight.

Shorten the screw a bit and try again. What does the bolt face look like? Is there brass wipe on the bolt face? Is the cartridge base showing evidence of marking? Sounds to me like a tight chamber, No 2 chambers are alike, I'd tell you to bump the shoulders back a couple thousands but it don't sound like you reload so that isn't an option.

Are you sure there isn't anything in the chamber? Have you looked (as in bore cam) to actually find out? Lots of 'what if''s'

Changing furniture should have no impact on the mechanics unless a fixing screw is too long but if one is, there will be telltale marks on the bolt circumference. Not familiar with a Boyd stock as I only use Manners or MacMillan furniture.

As an aside, I have 2 Savages, a 308 and a 338 and the 338 can have a heavy bolt lift but the cure is to bump the shoulders back a couple thou.

Perhaps a shot in the dark, but I've noticed Boyd's stocks inletting run a bit loose. I had one with the same problem as yours. The slot in the stock for the bolt was binding on the bolt making it feel stiff. Boyd's definitely benefit greatly with an epoxy bedding. Savages are more difficult to bed. Find someone with experience bedding them, not a project for a first attempt. Good luck

I don't reload at the moment have equipment just not much room at the moment. Until I loaded first round with this stock bolt functioned fine no issues.
I did not see marks on bolt other then old one from previous owner. I am going to clean it and see if I find any obvious debris in chamber, the magazine for is way to tight but does not have feeding problem, need to relieve bit of wood on rear of inletting and gr8 me the machined aluminum mag latch/action screw guide.

Far as looking in a chamber or down a tube, there is the expensive way (Gradient Lens Hawkeye @ 800 bucks) or a Harbor Freight video inspection cam @ 59 bucks. I have both and the HF color video inspection cam works just as well, especially for looking in chambers. I find myself using it almost all the time and leaving the Hawkeye in the case. I look inside all the time. I like to check to make sure my cleaning regimen is really cleaning and removing copper fouling.

Thanks sidecarflip I Will check that out. Have you or anyone you know tried the camera that connects to a cell phone. I think they are between $19-30 been meaning to do more research on them.

Thanks sidecarflip I Will check that out. Have you or anyone you know tried the camera that connects to a cell phone. I think they are between $19-30 been meaning to do more research on them.
Just looked up borescope for Android $11 Or so at Wal-Mart I think Amazon has them as well

Perhaps look at the Lyman borescope also. Has a SD card to take pics so you can see them on the pc and it will fit almost all caliber barrels. I looked at the Harbor Freight site, theirs is 8.5mm which is a bit large for most bores, but fine for chambers. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts