Savage Actions

mrussell

I am trying to build a custom 6.5 cal gun, not sure what type of 6.5 to build.

now on to the Action, I want to use a savage, but not sure what the difference is between the 10,110/11-111/12-112 are? I think the diff on the 10 and 110 are short vs long action. But, what is the 10, 11, and 12 mean?

(C&P from another website)

The number designations are as follows:

12/112 or 10/110 - Varmint/Target series ... only drilled and tapped for scope mounts, no open sights, 24" or 26" barrel, blued or stainless depending on specific variation

11/111 - Hunter series ... open sights & drilled and tapped for scope mounts, 22" or 24" barrel, blued only

110/111xxXP3 - Package series ... no sights, comes with 3-9x32 scope mounted, 22" or 24" barrel, blued only, wood stock/leather sling installed or synthetic stock/nylon sling installed

16/116 - Weather Warrior series ... no sights, only drilled and tapped for scope mounts, 22", 24" or 26" barrel, stainless steel only

The letter codes are what determines the "specific's" of the rifle...here is the list:

AK -Adjustable Muzzle Brake
B -Laminate Stock
C -Clip (Detachable Box Mag.)
F -Synthetic Stock
G -Hardwood Stock
L -Left Hand
LE -Law Enforcement
ML -Muzzleloader

NS -No Sights
P -Police
SE -Safari Express
SS -Stainless Steel
U -Ultra High Lustre
V -Long Range (Heavy Barrel)
XP -Package Gun
Y -Youth

Hope this helps!

ADDED:

In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.

However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.

I have a 110 in .270 Win and 111F in .300 Win Mag, with the exception of the bolt handles, they are visually identical. Work closely with your gunsmith ... your gunsmith can provide you advice to better suit your needs.

Good luck!

ok, so when we talk about the action only, 110, 111 and the 116 all for the same price, but the target action is $150 more. as you explained there wasnt much mentioned in the action itself, is there any difference? I know you mentioned the thread dia (Large shank, Small shank), but what is the length of each 110 to a 10? Using the Rem action there is a long action and a small action, long is for 30-06 type cartridge, and the small is for .308 type cartridge. is that the same as the 10 vs 110?

Thanks for all you help?
enjoy.

ok, so when we talk about the action only, 110, 111 and the 116 all for the same price, but the target action is $150 more. as you explained there wasnt much mentioned in the action itself, is there any difference? I know you mentioned the thread dia (Large shank, Small shank), but what is the length of each 110 to a 10? Using the Rem action there is a long action and a small action, long is for 30-06 type cartridge, and the small is for .308 type cartridge. is that the same as the 10 vs 110?

Thanks for all you help?
enjoy.

Look at the 1st sticky on this forum courtesy of JE Customs.

Are you doing a DIY or are you having a gunsmith build it for you? If you are having a gunsmith build it, I highly suggest to work very closely with your smith.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts