Savage Actions

Captn C

I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the H
I am re-thinking build a long range gun on my P-17 action. I was on the Shillen web site looking for a possible barrel and noticed the section on Savage barrels. I like the idea of doing the work my self.

Now which action to buy?

I know nothing about their actions....I seen a model 110 last night in the used rack for <$350. I bet I could get it for less. The action is long...looks like it could handle a 7STW.

Been re-thinking the caliber too. I'm not sure I could find a place big enough to get far enough away to make a 1000 yard shot?!?! Hunting that is....so the gun would really only have to hit hard out to 700 yards.

Savage actions are pretty good especialy if you like to tinker with the work yourself. Shilen's prefit barrels are decient but their are better ones out their. The 110 action is very versitile , you can shoot from a 223 through the RUM's with it. Invest in a good trigger and recoil lug from Sharp Shooters Supply and that will help your accuracy alot.

As for the caliber that realy depends on what your wanting to shoot at 700yds , prarie dogs or elk. The 280 ackley is a great round for deer out to and past 700tds and it doesn't break your walet to shoot it nor beat you up if shot without a brake

Well I jumped in!

I found a stainless unfired 700 in 7mmRUM for $575 and I bought it. I figured by the time I bought the Savage and new barrel I'd be over $600 maybe even over $700

It looked like it was too good to be pass up, so here it is:

7mmRUM_sm.jpg

that was hell of a deal and this time next year after you have practiced with it enough to shoot out the barrel you will have a great platfor to build from

congrats

a savage 110 can be had for about 200 bucks. 350 is pretty steep because they were only about 220 bucks new... some were more, but why buy a 7rm 110, when u are changing the barrel?

that 700 was a good buy tho...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.