Savage actions. Long, short, what is what?

fastline

I am going to be doing a custom build with custom ammo. My cartridge length will be about 3.125" but require the .223 bolt head. I was originally looking to use a 700 long action for this but others have discussed using a Savage action since the bolt heads are replaceable.

I happen to have a few Savages and I hope I am not going to get sick but I just turned loose of a .243 Model 11 for 250 bucks... I hope that was not my donor that just left!!! I have a .300 RUM 116 that would work great other than I am not sure there is really a market for my barrel, stock, and bolt face and hate to bastardize a good and marketable, all stainless rifle.

I also have a .308 FCP and the actions are certainly different. the mag in the FCP would barely accommodate a 3.00" round. the action could probably be made to work but....

So that leave me wondering if my 243 would have really worked anyway and if not, what other options might I have? Obviously trying to watch the budget. Someone else suggested the Savage Stevens 200 but again, I am not sure what models and what chamberings had what length actions...

My current 300 RUM is not accu trigger but I was going to work this one over and see if I can get to my target of a smooth 1.5# trigger. If not, that would be an added expense.

Like you already said, 3.125" won't work in your 308 action. Your 243 action would have been the same.

It will work easily on a long action. But, you'll run into two potential problems. Both can be solved with some patience.

First, you'll have to find a long action 223 bolt head. They are not very common, but do pop up from time to time. They are best found on savageshooters from a want ad. I have a LH and a RH, but you can't have either.:D

Second will be the magazine. If you're going to run it single shot, your gtg. A regular 223 magazine isn't long enough, neither are the 308 magazines. You'll have to run a long action magazine. I think a centerfeed magazine with modified (pinched together) might be your best bet.

The 300RUM isn't a good candidate. It is probably CRF and large shank. It also has the largest mag opening of all the Savage rifles. It's more suited to keep it as a big boomer, like a RUM or something off a 375 Ruger case.

Thanks for the reply. The brass will exceed .500" in diameter so the RUM mag should work great.

However, I do want a removable mag system for this. Right now it does not even have a hing plate. I have not looked for a mag system yet. I was pretty hooked on the 700 build before.

I should mention I have a machine shop so certain mods are no biggy.

I thought the bolt heads were very available? Or is it that I am looking for a short action bolt face in a long action? Can a short action head be made to work in the LA bolt?

It does on this build.

My other option on brass is to turn the rims on S&W .50 brass. My largest concern is that brass is straight, without taper, which could mean extraction concerns. Either way, I will likely be turning some brass.

Ok, I get it. You're doing something unique.

What I was saying about the RUM action is that it offers no advantage for your build over any other Savage long action.

The long action bolt heads have a longer "tail" on the shank that goes into the bolt body. The shank of the bolt head is what stops the firing pin and dictates the firing pin protrusion.

The long action 223 bolt heads are around. You just have to find one.

Good luck with build.

Ok, I get it. You're doing something unique.

What I was saying about the RUM action is that it offers no advantage for your build over any other Savage long action.

The long action bolt heads have a longer "tail" on the shank that goes into the bolt body. The shank of the bolt head is what stops the firing pin and dictates the firing pin protrusion.

The long action 223 bolt heads are around. You just have to find one.

Good luck with build.

SSS still makes an adapter for SA to LA bolt heads don't they?

One of these days I'm going to turn a spacer and give it a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.