savage action

I have a large shank long action it's a 375 ruger
yes there are very few large shank long actions. the 300 rum and the 375 ruger but they didn't make many before droping them. the only ones left is the 338 lapua.
as for switching to large shank it was a decision made after having chamber swelling with some heavy reloads in the larger dia. rounds.
safety concerns and lawyers were the reasons for the switch to large shank

My savage stealth in 6.5 cr is large shank. I'm not sure but I think the action is a varmint or 112 but it's called model 10. Kinda of confusing. My other model 10 in Creedmoor is a standard shank. Both short actions

Stories I heard were chamber swell was causing sizing and chambering problems for handloaders. Finite element analysis probably clued their engineers to up their game. Comparison to Remington are invalid as the measurement from bore axis to the outside of the reciever is identical with both maufactuers. Significant strength does not come from a brand name.

Stories I heard were chamber swell was causing sizing and chambering problems for handloaders. Finite element analysis probably clued their engineers to up their game. Comparison to Remington are invalid as the measurement from bore axis to the outside of the reciever is identical with both maufactuers. Significant strength does not come from a brand name.
That's really interesting. I just put a SAUM in a standard shank so maybe I'll learn something the hard way about swelling.

So you're saying that there's just too much going on to compare the actions as apples to apples whether they're similarly sized or not? Thanks for teaching me a new term, the FEA concept. A pretty neat way to unify a lot of problem solving. Kinda wish I hadn't abandoned math for the humanities.

That's really interesting. I just put a SAUM in a standard shank so maybe I'll learn something the hard way about swelling.

So you're saying that there's just too much going on to compare the actions as apples to apples whether they're similarly sized or not? Thanks for teaching me a new term, the FEA concept. A pretty neat way to unify a lot of problem solving. Kinda wish I hadn't abandoned math for the humanities.
In the job I retired from 4 years ago the solid modeling software we used had the capability to simulate everything associated with material and the loads and pressures you might apply to them. It could show the failure or stresses it found in each area in a color coded format similar to watching the intensity of storms shown during weather forecasts on television. The software could also recommend what to change and by how much. Almost hard to design without this "crutch" the math required to analyze every piece in a marriage to wach other is and can be overwhelming. They didn't have this advantage when they designed the twin towers. I bet any replacement construction in today's day and age use FEA DURING the design process.

Last edited:

I am running a 7 SAUM IMP and the 6.8 western case necked up to 30 on small shank barrels you wont have a problem.
all barrels expand and contract upon firing and if they expand to much that the brass doesn't spring back as much as the barrel that is when you get hard bolt lift and we call to much pressure then reduce our load accordingly
the savage not having a full diameter shank will just show the problem sooner.

I am running a 7 SAUM IMP and the 6.8 western case necked up to 30 on small shank barrels you wont have a problem.
all barrels expand and contract upon firing and if they expand to much that the brass doesn't spring back as much as the barrel that is when you get hard bolt lift and we call to much pressure then reduce our load accordingly
the savage not having a full diameter shank will just show the problem sooner.
Neat, that makes sense. Makes a lot of sense. I always assumed that something like that was going on but never heard it put that way.

How do you like that necked up 6.8? I had that thought too, I think that case has a lot of promise, I really like what I know about it.

In the job I retired from 4 years ago the solid modeling software we used had the capability to simulate everything associated with material and the loads and pressures you might apply to them. It could show the failure or stresses it found in each area in a color coded format similar to watching the intensity of storms shown during weather forecasts on television. The software could also recommend what to change and by how much. Almost hard to design without this "crutch" the math required to analyze every piece in a marriage to wach other is and can be overwhelming. They didn't have this advantage when they designed the twin towers. I bet any replacement construction in today's day and age use FEA DURING the design process.
Yeah, it's hard to imagine that we made it this far without it, like how we got to space with slide rules. It makes me think of that airliner back mid-century that had square windows and started ripping apart due to fuselage fatigue in the sharp corners. Super easy to fix, not as easy to predict without modeling or hindsight.

Neat, that makes sense. Makes a lot of sense. I always assumed that something like that was going on but never heard it put that way.

How do you like that necked up 6.8? I had that thought too, I think that case has a lot of promise, I really like what I know about it.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine that we made it this far without it, like how we got to space with slide rules. It makes me think of that airliner back mid-century that had square windows and started ripping apart due to fuselage fatigue in the sharp corners. Super easy to fix, not as easy to predict without modeling or hindsight.
Now that I'm nearing 70 these old eyes have all but given up on me. The slide rule days are over, could never read one these daysill stick with my calculators.its been over 50 years since I could read a slide rule and couldn't way back then either.

I have the 6.8 case in 6.5 and 30 the 6.5 is a work in progress but the 30 has no problem getting well above 3000 fps with 180 class bullets in a 2.9" oal . had the 215 berger to 2930 with rl-26 and the 230 to 2775 all in a 26" barrel. the 230 hybrids showed some serious promise as far as accuracy is concerned but I need to get more and get a brake installed before I finish load development.
the 6.5 hit 3325 with retumbo and 3275 with h-1000 both 140and 145 matchburner in a 28" barrel, was an old 6.5 prc barrel with over a 1000 rounds that I rechambered so not real comfortable with the info being accurate. have a new unfired savage 6.5 PRC barrel waiting to rechamber

I have the 6.8 case in 6.5 and 30 the 6.5 is a work in progress but the 30 has no problem getting well above 3000 fps with 180 class bullets in a 2.9" oal . had the 215 berger to 2930 with rl-26 and the 230 to 2775 all in a 26" barrel. the 230 hybrids showed some serious promise as far as accuracy is concerned but I need to get more and get a brake installed before I finish load development.
the 6.5 hit 3325 with retumbo and 3275 with h-1000 both 140and 145 matchburner in a 28" barrel, was an old 6.5 prc barrel with over a 1000 rounds that I rechambered so not real comfortable with the info being accurate. have a new unfired savage 6.5 PRC barrel waiting to rechamber
wow that sounds like a fun one. Very, very cool. I think that'll go on the list for the next build. I've been toying with the idea of a shorter pipe 30 cal build but the WSM doesn't blow my skirt up really and the SAUM and RCM are just hot ought-sixes without the classic appeal. When I saw the westerner I really hoped somebody would run the experiment you're doing. Are you growing that OAL with the longer bullets or keeping it short?

I have about 20 savages. From what I've learned through all the fidling and modifications is
The wsms, Rums, target models, lapuas, and 375 rugers have large shanks. My desert tactical 6.5 prc shares the wsm boldface and thus has a large shank. If you see a step on your barrel by the barrelnut it's a large shank. If you seiral number has G in the prefix it's likely a large shank. Also you can measure the factory barrel nuts as was mentioned already.

Of all my pile of rifles only 4 are large shank.

For the info sake an old LONG action will fit in modern accustock longe action but you need a new accustock recoil lug from midway or dremel fit.

old short actions have different bolt space from new ones though.
20210714_230412.jpg