Savage 6.5 X 284 Long Range Hunter

NHGriff

So I was in my local gun shop picking up my long awaited .22 suppressor when I asked about the new Savage. He says his distributor has one and it will be here on Monday if I put down a deposit today. Well...sure I say. So now that I've signed up for this I need to look at what else I will need to complete this rifle.

Anyone have one? What works for mounts and optics? Did you bipod it? Also where can you get ammo to get me started? I will be working with a friend who reloads eventually but I know I'm gonna want to start shooting this thing before I can get with him to work up a load.

Can't wait for it to come in!

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

Grafs has some ammo in stock. Once you see prices, you might start reloading sooner than you planned.

Graf & Sons - 6.5mm/284 Winchester

For the rail, you can get one from Glen Seekins, Badger, and I'm sure others.

For optics, what's your budget and use for the rifle? NXS 5-22 would probably be a good fit for all-around long range use, but there are a host of others above and below that price point that will work.

Last edited:
I've been trying to search but when I type in 6.5x284 I get no results. Not sure why that is...I'd love to hear from some others who are shooting this caliber and specifically those shooting it from the Savage.

Thanks,

NHGriff,
I have the Savage 112BVSS in this caliber. Mine has the heavy fluted 26" barrel and it has shot great from the very first group (.3"). I have only shot reloads in mine though and have less than 200 rounds thoughr it. Here's a group from 8/31/10 at 500yds. I used RL25 and 120gn Ballistic Tip.

IMG_0240.jpg

Great round. Have fun. JohnnyK.

Thanks Tank...what I meant was I was searching this forum for info on this caliber and specifically this rifle in this caliber. I rarely get results when using the search function by caliber. It says no results but maybe there are too many results?

I'm looking at bases right now and wondering if anyone is using a one piece base. Do most use two piece bases? Should I get a 20 moa set? I'm kind of new to LRH and shooting so any help is appreciated.

Jim

Thanks Tank...what I meant was I was searching this forum for info on this caliber and specifically this rifle in this caliber. I rarely get results when using the search function by caliber. It says no results but maybe there are too many results?

I'm looking at bases right now and wondering if anyone is using a one piece base. Do most use two piece bases? Should I get a 20 moa set? I'm kind of new to LRH and shooting so any help is appreciated.

Jim

The most extensive info I have found is 2 sources. The first is a Shooting Times Magazine. They did a review on the exact rifle you own and different ammo. Look for the Dec 09/Jan 2010 issue. If you can find it, it should give you some insight to your rifle. For the caliber alone, go to: 6.5-284 Cartridge Guide

For a base, I wouldn't think a 20MOA would be necessary for the speed the cartridge carries, but shouldn't hurt anything. More clicks in the scope isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe check out rings instead. What I mean by this is that Burris makes a ring that you can use inserts for MOA adjustments verses being stuck with a solid base. One piece base is all I use.

The Burris Signature Z rings allow you to purchase inserts in increments of 10MOA. This keeps from having to purchase a solid base or try to shim which can cause binding in the scope. I use these rings plus a 20MOA base on my LR rig (300WSM w/ heavy bullets and low velocity). It allows me to keep my scope at its lowest click count to give me more vertical adjustment.

Here is what I use:

EGW Savage RB (Round Back) Picatinny Tactical Rail Scope Mount - $39.99 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

Scopes - rings by Burris Optics

You are going to need the exact base only in the long action. Should you choose the 20 MOA then a standard set of rings to fit the scope body you have should be all you need.

That's about all can help you with at this point.

Tank

Some quotes from the magazine:

"The center-feed design of the Savage internal box magazine feeds cartridges more smoothly than a conventional staggered magazine, ans it is extremely reliable as well."

"The Long-Range Hunter will be offered in several popular chamberings, but the star of the show in my opinion is the 6.5x284 Norma. Try it on your next hunt. You'll thank me later."

"Among the bullets tried in handloads, the star accuracy performers in this particulasr rifle were the Hornady 129grn SST and the Swift 130frn Scirocco II."

Load info:
Hornady 129 SST RL 22 54.0grns 3.045" 3015fps 0.67" at 100yrds
Swift 130 Scirocco II RL 22 54.0grns 3.060" 3028 0.72" at 100yrds

Nosler 120grn ballistic tip was the most accurate for the factory loadings. You want to stay away from the Scenar bullets because they don't expand.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.