Savage 338 RUM build with pics!

bigngreen

Finally finished the Savage 338 RUM my buddy and I have been putting together for an ELR elk slayer for him, built it as funds allowed but it turned out awesome.

Build specs are Savage Accutrigger long action that is trued, Brux med palma barrel 29 in long plus a 4 port Muscle brake chambered by me, Stockade stock that we finished and had hydro dipped, Stockade recoil lug, EGW 20 MOA HD rail, Sightron Slll 6-24x50 MOA, still waiting on rings so I slapped it in a set I had so we could get some shooting in.
Load is 90gr of Retumbo under a 300gr Berger OTM running 2800 fps.
We sighted in at 100 yards in three shots, punched in the data to Shooter and set one to the gong at 1030 yards and we were just heavy on wind and just of the edge of the plate, had him make .75 MOA wind correction and you can see the hit just over the rear scope ring. Easy peasy so we punched it up to 1435 and sent the first one, hit was within 2in of POA, which you can see on the rock just over the scope mid way up! So after the giggling he sent another one and it was same elevation and about 10in down wind which induced more giggling like girls!! The wind was up and down from almost nothing to 8mph, I sent one which went same elevation but about 10in up wind. That's three shots with almost no difference in elevation from a left hand and right hand shooter! My buddy dialed down to 100 yards and put one a bullet width to the right of the third sight in shot.
WE ARE JACKED!! Time to start looking for bear!

033.jpg

028.jpg

026.jpg

030.jpg

Last edited:
Rhian, that thing looks like it's hammering! Interesting dip on that stock. Should kill something :D Hope you aren't throwing out the 270 WSM!

The load is new Rem brass, 90gr Retumbo, 215 Fed, 300gr Berger .020 of the lands. I'm very pleased with the vertical, the windage error was just us not really paying attention and just using the same hold.

Small shank and no barrel nut.

That is a really nice looking rifle, there is some craftsmanship put into that. That stock is Bad ***, it really caught my eye. It looks really high end, not like those other camo stocks you see. Where did you get it done at?
Tarey

Very well done! You all, are killing me with your builds can't wait for my barrel to arrive. What's the item # on that stock?

Gene

The stock is a Stockade Gunstocks Prairie Dog Special that we ordered as a money saver, I've got some hours into making it right, the lines were of and I'm picky so I have a lot of filling, filing and sanding into it to get it all right. I also fitted the barrel channel to the barrel so it fallows the contour of the barrel and has the same fit all around it. It's a good fitting stock and handles very well and the price is right!
The camo dipping was done by HD Hydrographics, less than a week turn around and they did a good job. The pattern is Boneyard Legends, I'm not into the dipping but my buddy wanted something that stood out and he picked this out. It is really quite cool when you look at the details and it is an effective camo as well though the rifle could be neon green at the ranges it was built for!

He's loading brass like crazy now so maybe we can get some groups shot and finalize our ballistics then we have to find a place to take it to a mile which is what he wanted out of it which I think it will do without to much trouble after seeing the initial results.

I have a twin to it about half done but it's a Remington in a Forest laminate Hart stock that should be done within a month if I get on it, barrel, brake and reamer will be the same so we'll see which one shoots better :D

Really nice looking build, i just built it's little brother. Stockade PDog Special with adjustable cheek, criterion pre fit 6.5 284, 26 inch, went with rifle basix trigger and sss recoil lug. Stockade Stocks are nice, bought the money saver and fisnished myself. easy, solid, stiff, pretty awesome stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts