Savage 338 LM Rifles

Big Dawg

I am new to this thread but have always found the conversations to be both informative and enlightning. I am new to long range shooting and will purchase my first true long rifle at the end of the month. I'm considering three savage 338 LM rifles: hs precison, 11/111 LRH or the 110 BA. I really want the 110 BA but my budget being what it is may require me to purchase a less expensive rifle. Do these rifles have comprable performance and which one represents the best value for the money performance wise? :cool:

I have a Savage 111 LRH 338LM and a BA10 308. Your answer probably depends on what you plan to use it for. The BA110 would not be a good choice for hunting, the HS could be used for target and some hunting and the 111LRH would be the ticket for a pure hunting gun.

Thanks for the reply Ludicrous! My intent is long range target shooting. I recently purchased the savage 10 FCP-K which gets me out to 1,000 yds but I am now looking to extend the range. Is the recoil on all three about the same and do all three have approximately the same range given same loads? :cool:

The recoil will be less with the BA110, HS next and the 111 last. Even the 111 isn't bad though. Honestly I would grab a HS model, they were next to impossible to get for most of 2012. Savage recently sent a batch out to dealers. My guess is they will all dry up again until the next batch is manufactured. I believe it's the best selling 338 LM they make. If all you do is target shoot grab a BA.

Thanks Ludicrous! It's down to the 110 BA & the HS Precision 110. I'm leaning towards the HS then I'll have a little left over to purchase 100 rounds of Lapua brass & 300 grain bullets. Thanks for the advice! :)

Hey Len, I went with the 110 BA as my final decision... Below is a picture my new rifle. Thanks again for your feedback, it played a major role in my purchasing decision.

Attachments

• Savage 110 BA 338 Lapua.jpg
    Savage 110 BA 338 Lapua.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 84
Sorry for calling you Len Ludicrous, I entered the wrong name. But my new rifle rounds out my collection. Below is a pic of my entire battery.

Attachments

• Big Dawg's Battery.jpg
    Big Dawg's Battery.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 59
Yeah, I'm saving up for a Nightforce scope for the BA but need to slow my role just a bit to keep my wife at bay. I aready have a Hawke 6-20 x 50 for the Savage 10 FCP-K but need to get some good rings for it. As for the bipod, I purposely mounted the bipod backwards thinking it would eliminate the recoil from colapsing it. Your thoughts?

Turn it back around. Recoil is not going to be an issue at all. You will want to use the bipod to preload the legs. If you have an S model Harris get an Alpha Bravo pod lock too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.