Savage 338 Lapua barrel swap

Even if you have a large shank long action it's not a good idea unless you have the proper one. All Savage Lapua actions are large shank but not all large shank actions can necessarily handle the Lapua. The Lapua actions go through a special hardening process that the regular long actions do not. Even with the proper action, I've still seen lug set back on them when using hot loads.

Even if you have a large shank long action it's not a good idea unless you have the proper one. All Savage Lapua actions are large shank but not all large shank actions can necessarily handle the Lapua. The Lapua actions go through a special hardening process that the regular long actions do not. Even with the proper action, I've still seen lug set back on them when using hot loads.
Good point

Exactly what he said!!! The Big Shank and the Lapua Big Shank are different in strength......By design

Exactly what he said!!! The Big Shank and the Lapua Big Shank are different in strength......By design
Actually according to Savage the Lapua large shank is the same as any other large shank.

Anyone have a large shank long action non Lapua they can check hardness on? I can check the hardness on my Lapua action.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221209_090401_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209_090401_Gmail.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Actually according to Savage the Lapua large shank is the same as any other large shank.

Anyone have a large shank long action non Lapua they can check hardness on? I can check the hardness on my Lapua action.
The hardness IS the same, but, the action is made different(stronger) it has extra metal on top, that the others don't....Top pic is regular big shank, second pic is the 338LM
The pic is upside down so ya can see the extra metal better..
GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

It was smart of you to ask the question, most people just drive right ahead. That being said, even if you had a large shank Lapua action I think this is one of those times where just because you can do it it doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. I've seen lug setbacks and threads deform on savages so badly you couldn't unscrew the barrel in as little as 500 rounds. Truth is there's only two 700 size actions I personally would trust to hold up to a Lapua long term, the Defiance Deviant Tactical and the Terminus Zeus. With the powder capacity of a Lapua, you're basically putting your cheek in front of a hand grenade and setting it off. You want as much strength between you and it as you can get.