Savage 338 Lapua barrel swap

Duck Duck

Looking for info on a Savage 338 Lapua barrel swap. It has a large shank. I have a 110 7mm but it takes a small shank, also have a couple of 338 WM Sako and Ruger M77. Am I better off turning down the barrel and rethreading it down to small shank or looking for an action that works. Any ideas on what actions accept savage barrels. Any info helpful. THANKS

Do you currently have the Lapua Action? Trying to make a smaller cartridge from that action? Not sure what you are asking.

Of the rifles you mentioned none have the Lapua bolt face (.585") vice the standard magnum bolt faces you mention (.540"). To do a 338 Lapua on a Savage 110, you will need the .585. If you have the Lapua action, you can do 300 Norma variants, 338 Norma variants, etc.

There are a few actions that take Savage threads Zermatt/Bighorn is one I know. They do not make the Lapua bolt face though.

Do you currently have the Lapua Action? Trying to make a smaller cartridge from that action? Not sure what you are asking.

Of the rifles you mentioned none have the Lapua bolt face (.585") vice the standard magnum bolt faces you mention (.540"). To do a 338 Lapua on a Savage 110, you will need the .585. If you have the Lapua action, you can do 300 Norma variants, 338 Norma variants, etc.
He could buy a new bolt though

To run a 338 Lapua on a small shank? Savage can swap bolt faces. Could do it going down in cartridge with the bigger action, but not up to a Lapua with the small action. To run a 7mm RM on a Lapua action, he may be able to swap the bolt face, but I am not sure how it would work.

That is why I asked what he is trying to do.

To run a 338 Lapua on a small shank? Savage can swap bolt faces. Could do it going down in cartridge with the bigger action, but not up to a Lapua with the small action. TO run a 7mm RM on a Lapua action, he may be able to swap the bolt face, but I am not sure how it would work.

That is why I asked what he is trying to do.
I'm 99% sure hes trying to put a 338 lm barrel on a small shank long action.

If "downsizing/chambering", should be an easy large shank barrel swap and a new bolt face. Savages are kinda like legos, but not all the blue pieces play well with the red...

Right, I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea but am curious nonetheless.

Does anyone know what chamberings came with large shank long action, aside from the 338 LM?
You can do pretty much anything on a large shank with the Lapua sized action. The other way around? Not so much. Most standard short actions up to the small magnums.