savage .308

coyotebuster

I'm planning on getting a savage model 11 long range hunter in .308. I will be mainly using it on long range coyotes and deer. I don't plan on reloading. I'm not sure if I want a gun with a muzzle break on it though. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the addiction! Your choice in rifle will be a good one. The nice thing with that rifle is that you can turn the muzzle break off and on. So when you are on the bench it can be on for shooting comfort. When your in the field, you can turn it off so that you are not busting your ears. As far as ammo is concerned, Federal Premium Gold Match in a 168grn or 175 grain will do all you need it to. The other option is the Black Hills Match ammo in the same weight bullets. Good stuff if you can get a hold of it.

As far as rifles, there are the varmint models, and the predator models. You can't really go wrong with the one that you have chosen. From what I have read they are very capable long range rifles from the beginning. Hope this helped out.

Tank

Thanks tank. I'm also going to be looking for a good scope pretty soon. I would like a scope I can dial in and is accurate out to at least 700yds. I would like to get a nightforce but man they are spendy. What other scopes have you guys had good luck with?

Well it is all personal preference. I have to shoot on a budget, so I look at the Nikon Buckmaster and Vortex Viper line. They make some really nice scopes with good glass. I really like my Buckmasters. I use the 4.5-14x40 on my .308. With a 20MOA base it takes 21.50MOA to 700yrds. I have just enough to get me to about 900 yards. I use a 6-18x40 Buckmaster on my LR rifle with a target dot. I can get well over 1300+yrds with that set up.

With your rifle, your velocities will be higher and will allow you to shoot much flatter, but I would still suggest the 20MOA base. The Vortex Viper has plenty of elevation for long shots. I would suggest something in a max power of 15 to 30 power. I know I struggle to see groundhogs at 1000yrds when I had a 308 set up for that yardage using my 4.5-14x40.

If Night Force is really what you want, then I would save for that. Leupy makes a bunch of good scopes that will work well. They might be a little more affordable. Without knowing your budget it is hard to pick some out. Sightron SIII is a winner also. The best thing to do is figure a max price. Then start looking from there.

Tank

Last edited:
I know I might catch some crap for this, but I bought a Votex Crossfire 8x32*50. The glass is really clear all the way to 32x. I'm shooting it tomorrow, so we'll see how it does. From what I've heard the company really stands by it's products. I paid $229. It came with a sunshield, and they have target type turrets. Vortex - Camera Land NY

Thanks for the information. Since I will be doing a lot of long range coyote shooting with the scope I buy, my main concern with it other than accuracy is being able to get it dialed in quickly once the target has been ranged since coyotes usually don't stay in one place for very long.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.