Savage .308 FP10 - Cartridge ejecting from chamber while sliding bolt forward

bear0402

First off, wonderful forum. Been reading these forums for awhile, and this is the first time I've posted because of an inability to find the information I have needed.

The problem is that most of the time, the second to last cartridge will eject as I am sliding the bolt forward to chamber the round.

I am including a video link taken with my phone so you can see exactly what is happening. *Video is shaky. You have officially been warned.* The second round that does not get ejected in the video is another issue that I am working on. The third round/second to last round partially ejects from the gun as the bolt is being pushed forward, and exactly the issue I am attempting to fix.

*Happens at the 15 to 16 second mark*
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h14mp2ydhzxyjs/20121013_130041.mp4

I have taken my rifle to the local gunsmith. He said that it just needed a through cleaning and polishing. So I paid for him to do it, and there was some improvement, but it did not completely correct the issue. Went from happening 80% of the time down to about 50% of the time.

Any suggestions to completely fix the issue?

First off, wonderful forum. Been reading these forums for awhile, and this is the first time I've posted because of an inability to find the information I have needed.

The problem is that most of the time, the second to last cartridge will eject as I am sliding the bolt forward to chamber the round.

I am including a video link taken with my phone so you can see exactly what is happening. *Video is shaky. You have officially been warned.* The second round that does not get ejected in the video is another issue that I am working on. The third round/second to last round partially ejects from the gun as the bolt is being pushed forward, and exactly the issue I am attempting to fix.

*Happens at the 15 to 16 second mark*
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h14mp2ydhzxyjs/20121013_130041.mp4

I have taken my rifle to the local gunsmith. He said that it just needed a through cleaning and polishing. So I paid for him to do it, and there was some improvement, but it did not completely correct the issue. Went from happening 80% of the time down to about 50% of the time.

Any suggestions to completely fix the issue?

pull the bolt and check to see if the ejector pin is stuck. They will get a bunch of junk in them causing them to freeze up.
gary

Your feed lips need to be tweaked a little at the rare of the mag . Pinch them together a bit with pliers.

Here is a slow motion video. The round gets ejected at the beginning of the video, again at about 40 seconds, and then again at about 1:15.

Pay close attention to the round at 1:15. I moved the bolt very slowly, and you can definately see that the ejector pin isn't touching the round, and that it just jumps out of the magazine.

submoa may be onto something.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqo3el3je0t38td/20121015_181207_02.mp4

Also, I spoke with the gunsmith who worked on it, and he stated that he had adjusted my ejector pin to fix the issue with the casing not being ejected.

FYI, from the previously posted video, after cycling about 40 rounds, the round is now being properly ejected.

I think I have it solved. Sent some HD pictures to a few people, and they all seem to have come to the consensus that the left hand rail on the internal magazine box is worn out.

Question is, do I have the gunsmith do it. I've never taken on something of this magnitude before. And I'm a month away from my hunting trip.

its not that its worn out its that it flexed out.I telling you just pull the action out of the stock and pinch the lips of the mag together a bit. I had the same thing happen to my stevens 223 and it works great now !

Theres not much to it and if you know how to use a allen wrinch and a pair of pliers you cand do it ;-}

its not that its worn out it flexed out . I had the same thing happen to my stevens 223.

just take the action out of the stock and pinch the mag lips together a bit

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts