Savage 308 /175 SMK - Bullet Drop Question

Thanks for the info between all of us we'll get you straight.
If you can I suggest doing the following.

1. Verify/rezero 200 yard zero.

2. Move a target to 300-400 yds (verified yds) and shoot it using the same aim point ( no holdover) your rounds should be 8" +- at 300 or 24"+- at 400 below the aiming point. Since you don't have a chrono this will let us get a decent estimate of your muzzle velocity.

Dodgefan I dont have a chronograph, and i haven't verify that it is still on at 200yds,4300ft

SBruce I was wondering about the scope set on 20x if that was the problem, this is my first time shooting at 600yds. trying to figure out how the scope works the Mil Dots.

thanks for the info

You're welcome, we'll get you figured out.

If 20X is exactly 3 IPHY, then 16.5X will get you really close to 3.6 IPHY (or 1 mil) Just try it at the range against paper to confirm.

You don't really need a chrono, but if you don't use one; you will need to know where you are hitting at a few different distances in order for someone to figure an approximate velocity for you.

These guys could be on to something with checking the power to see where your mil dots are calibrated. Pretty simple to do if you have 100 yards to work with or a collimator (bore sighter).

These guys could be on to something with checking the power to see where your mil dots are calibrated. Pretty simple to do if you have 100 yards to work with or a collimator (bore sighter).

Yea, it works. I've got a 8.5-25 with the TMR. I personally don't like to think of things in mils, and would rather use IPHY. If I turn the power down to 15X, the marks that were every 1/2 mil are now every 3 IPHY. Then I can visuallize a 1/3 mark or 1 IPHY pretty easily.

SBruce, what is IPHY? Im still trying to figure out Mil Dots and how they work.Thanks everyone for there help

Inch per hundred yards is very similar to moa or minute of angle, and sometimes refered to as "shooters moa".

A true minute of angle covers 1.0472" per hundred yards. some scopes (not all) take 4 clicks to supposedly move point of impact one moa. one moa = 10.472" at 1000.

IPHY is exactly 1" per hundred yards.......drop the .0472 BS. 1" at 100 covers 10" at 1000. Some scopes supposedly move the poi in 1/4 IPHY (4 clicks = 1").
Very close to true moa except for long distance and/or moving the adjustments by alot of clicks.

Mil is milliradian and covers 3.6" per hundred yards, or 1yard at 1000 yards.
One mil also equals 3.438 moa. some scopes have 1/10" mil adjustments (takes 10 clicks to move poi one mil).

IPHY is surely the easiest to use for quick calculations in the field. Especially since we think of our targets and drops/drifts in terms of inches, not yards.

I say suposedly on the scope clicks, because I've lost count of how many scopes I've seen that didn't move the poi exactly the advertised amount. Some are way off of what they should be.

SBruce I punched in the number for the 175 SMK on jbm 400yrds zero the drop at 600yrds is 43.1 inches and moa is 6.9 If MOA is 1.0472 x600=6.28 and IPHY is 1"x600= 6.0 how do they come up with 6.9moa. so it would take 27,28 clicks with 1/4 clicks to get 6.9moa. or am i confused.

thanks again

SBruce I punched in the number for the 175 SMK on jbm 400yrds zero the drop at 600yrds is 43.1 inches and moa is 6.9 If MOA is 1.0472 x600=6.28 and IPHY is 1"x600= 6.0 how do they come up with 6.9moa. so it would take 27,28 clicks with 1/4 clicks to get 6.9moa. or am i confused.

thanks again

43.1/6.28 = 6.86 moa. OR, 43.1/1.0472/6 = 6.86 moa. They are simply rounding to the nearest 1/10th minute in the program. You are correct with 27 1/2 clicks (if your clicks are truely precisely 1/4 moa). Again, click value should be tested/varified; because I've lost count of how many scopes don't move the poi the exact advertised amount.

SBruce So is the 6.28 and 6.0 moa

Sorry for all the questions

That's alright,

6.28" at 600yds is 1 true moa. 6" at 600 yds is one "shooters moa".

As you can see, shooters moa is easier to use........no decimal places. But for most circumstances, they are virtually the same.

If I were you, in your situation; I'd just run with the 3 IPHY spacing your scope seems to have (on 20X) It's easier to figure than dialing down your scope to where it's true mils.............see what I mean by reading my post on another thread.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/ffp-sfp-ranging-65716/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.