Savage 270WSM Rate of Twist

BRN

Can any one provide some assistance with rate of twist for a 270 WSM? I was thinking of a Savage 16 FCSS however I noticed that the rate of twist for the Savage is 1 in 11" and all others (Tikka, Rem, Browning, etc.) are 1 in 10 inch. As well all bullet manufactures load data references 1 in 10in. Is this something to be concerned about? Looking to likely load 140gr or 150 gr bullets. I would have emailed Savage however they don't have an email address.

Thanks for any assistance.

Can any one provide some assistance with rate of twist for a 270 WSM? I was thinking of a Savage 16 FCSS however I noticed that the rate of twist for the Savage is 1 in 11" and all others (Tikka, Rem, Browning, etc.) are 1 in 10 inch. As well all bullet manufactures load data references 1 in 10in. Is this something to be concerned about? Looking to likely load 140gr or 150 gr bullets. I would have emailed Savage however they don't have an email address.

Thanks for any assistance.

It depends on the length of the bullet and not the weight. If you measure the bullet length that you are going to shoot, there are twist rate charts that can give you the info you need. 1 in 11 does sound a little marginal to me for the longer .270 bullets, especially for extreme range shooting.......Rich

Load a 140 Accubond and go for it, I've worn out one Savage barrel with them and the 140 Bergers. I think the 150's will stabilize also but that is pushing it and you can honk on the 140's hard enough to make it a wash. They are stable to sub sonic but I haven't shot them past that.

Berger calls for a 1:11 for 140 and 1:10 for 150's. If you want a 1:10, then call Savage and make the request. I have heard they are really good about customizing rifles to customer requests and sometimes at no additional costs. Doesn't hurt to try. I'm an avid Savage fan. I own a couple of them and will never regret it.

Tank

Thanks Guys.

bigngreen, would you have some loads you would be willing to share for the accubonds and the bergers?

Thanks again.

I'm shooting a Model 12 FVSS to start with, I settled on 71 gr of Retumbo with Fed215's in Rem brass. The 140 Accubonds were running 3341fps and the Berger was 3300, now that's dropped into the 3170fps range that the throat has lengthened. This is a stout load!!! I like H1000 also but never developed a load with it due to availability at the time.
If you look at the Savage 270 they twist it a 1-10, I wish they would have kept with it for the WSM but they didn't, I assume they twisted it more for shooting a 130gr bullet fast which at these speed you can back of the twist a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.