Savage 260 Long actions?

wapitiaddict

Hi all, new member here! Although I've been silently stocking the boards for quite some time.

I'm looking to get into a 260ai rifle. Does anyone know if Savages 110 or 111 models come in a long action? I'm very new to the 260 cartridge, but from what I've been reading is it is maybe better to go with LA if planning to run longer bullets in a repeater , especially for the ai. Or are the savage magazines long enough already in the short action? Wanting to run up to 147gr vlds.

Since I'll also be using this for hunting, with a suppressor, I want try to keep to a 22 inch or 24 inch max barrel so I don't get too long. Is that sufficient for this cartridge?

Thanks in advance!

Savage long actions are two digits ( model 10, 11, 12, 16). Long actions three digits( 110, 111, 116)

EXCEPT recently their new accufit stocked rifles are 110s on both ( I hate it).

Anyway, all my short actions have a mag length of 3.005" or so. That should be plenty. I'm not sure if you'll have feeding issues from using a long action.
Maybe someone who has tried it can give more insight to whether this would cause feeding problems .

Savage long actions are two digits ( model 10, 11, 12, 16). Long actions three digits( 110, 111, 116)

EXCEPT recently their new accufit stocked rifles are 110s on both ( I hate it).

Anyway, all my short actions have a mag length of 3.005" or so. That should be plenty. I'm not sure if you'll have feeding issues from using a long action.
Maybe someone who has tried it can give more insight to whether this would cause feeding problems .

You hate the accufit or the number system?

The number system.

The stocks are very very nice. Even the pistol grip is a big improvement. Seems to fit me very well.

No!

I called Savage last week to buy replacement stocks, they said they won't be for sale for another year. **** it .

Savage SA is what you want.
If you really wanted more mag length I'd consider a medium action like a tikka. Heck you could just have the factory barrel set back and reamed out to a 260ai.
If ur gonna run a la there's better cartridge choices to utilize your magazine

The 260 LRP was a SA and the detachable mag allowed the bullets to be seated to the lands. Panhandle Precision has a pretty good review of it. Criterion will sell you a prefit in 260 AI. They also make them for Rem m700, Tikka, as well as Savage.

If you think you might want to go off the shelf, I bought a Tikka in 260 and basically converted it to long action.The Tikka's allow for this. You can do a bit of grinding on the bolt stop to make it throw longer, or buy another one to put in. I also bought another magazine that fit the 260, I think it was for a 30-06, and did a bit of modification on it so I could use it with the long bergers. Worked like a charm.

If you think you might want to go off the shelf, I bought a Tikka in 260 and basically converted it to long action.The Tikka's allow for this. You can do a bit of grinding on the bolt stop to make it throw longer, or buy another one to put in. I also bought another magazine that fit the 260, I think it was for a 30-06, and did a bit of modification on it so I could use it with the long bergers. Worked like a charm.

That's good to know. I'll take a look at that too. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've been looking long and hard at the new Savage 110 Predator in 260 rem (that I plan to AI). It comes with the accufit/accustock. And a threaded barrel. However at slightly over 8.5 pounds it already weighs more than my 270 win with a scope.

Since I do a lot of mountain hunting for mulies and elk, I'm hesitant about the weight. After an elk hunt with a buddy who used a supressed 6.5cm (Tikka t3x I believe) to bag a nice bull, I'm pretty sold on supressed hunting. But it also adds even more weight. What are everyone's opinion on the weight? (I saw another thread about hunting rifle weight, but this is more specific to the Savage model).

Last edited:
Also, is a 24 inch barrel sufficient for a 260ai with a can? I know it is not ideal, but will it still be worth it to do chamber to AI?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.