Savage .223 load development

midwesthunter

First let me say I don't have any velocity readings. Buddy shot my chrono before it was my turn. You should have seen the look on his face LOL. He thought I was going to shoot him. But he instantly got his wallet out, and I just told him stuff happens just order me a new one. So temp was 80 deg out, I was shooting in the shade of my truck. I had four different powders loaded in .5 grain increments. Shooting new Remington brass cci primers and sierra MK 69 grain. I forget OAL but bullet was .003 off lands. Gun is Model 10 predator 1-9 twist 22" barrel. Cartridge fit in mag fine but some would catch when chambering. I only shot three shot groups and I fired the groups as fast as I accurately could. So less than 30 seconds between all three shots. Barrel cooled for 5 min between groups. Distance was 200 yards with bi-pod no rear bag. I don't know if I was more impressed with the groups or my shooting. On a side note, I only had time to test 2 of the powders and they were Varget and H335. I will test other two when I get time. Here are my three best groups. First is varget other two is H335
004.jpg

002.jpg

Center to center of .264 @ 200 yards not bad for a bone stock savage.
003.jpg

I definatly need a better stock. In the colder months its fine, but in the summer heat it gets pretty wobblie.

Thanks for sharing...

I am looking for a more accurate load/bullet combo for my 18.6" 1 - 9" twist Robinson Arms XCR-L in 223 thinking of giving your H335 load a try...

Midwesthunter,
For sure that is some good shooting and that Savage is definately a keeper. The Varget load is a keeper. I got the same grade of accuracy from W748 powder (25-26.0gn) but with 55gn Ballistic Tips in a 110FP (.223) that I once owned. JohnnyK.

I'm using H335 and CCI 450 magnum primer in my stevens....best I've done is 3/4 @ 100 running max load per Hodgdons. I too wonder what I could with a better stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.