Savage 220

MSU Marksman

I was wondering if anyone has re-barreled one with a heavier or longer barrel? Or wouldn't that make much of a difference for a shotgun?

I do not see what there is to gain by rebarreling. There will be little if any increase in velocity with a longer barrel and a heavier barrel will only make the gun heavier - if it is anything like the 210, the barrel is already plenty heavy. Savage barrels are known to be accurate from the factory anyway. I have been thinking of picking one of these up and would be very interested to hear how they shoot.

Wunderdog,

The 220's are extremely accurate. I bought one back in 2006 cause I got access to hunt a small chunk of ground in Western Illinois. I spend quite a bit of time reading his book & speaking with Dave Henderson from upstate New York. He wrote an excellent book on slug guns & is one of the most knowledgeable in the country on the issue. I told him I couldn't afford any kind of custom gun like a tarhunt or anything like that. He said the Savage was the most accurate out of the box I could buy. I bought one & love it. He told me to 1st try to shoot 2 3/4" Hornady SST sabots & man was he right. It shoot's very, very tight groups.

By the way that year, I killed my largest whitetail to date. Typical 12 point that grossed over 180" & netted 176". 2 weeks later I went to Iowa & killed a really good 10 point with the gun as well. I love it!

Take Care,

I bought one last week, mounted a Bushnell 4200 and it groups 3" Remingtons and Federal Barnes TIpped expanders great at 150 yards. My gun did good with the Hornady's until about 120 yards then they started getting pretty inconsistent. I don't know what if any accuracy you would gain by changing the barrel, but this thing is a 200 yard deer gun right out of the box. These guns just came out in late 09 and are considered a 2010 model so I'd say some aftermarket will become available but with the accutrigger (I love it) and the accuracy already shown, I won't change a thinggun)

0224001551-1-1.jpg

Check out this bad boy!!! I absolutely love it!!

0225001454.jpg

4 shot 50 yd group, the center hit is after scope adjustment. Gonna be hard to find a slug gun that can shoot better than this thing does

0225001455-2.jpg

3 round 100 yd group, the target was already up so I just aimed at the eye. This was my first time shooting it couldnt believe how well it grouped

I just bought a camo one of these last week, but havent shot it yet. Yesterday I bought a Leupold UltimateSlam 2-7x33 scope for it and an EGW 1pc base. Just gotta pick up the rings this weekend and put it together.

I also got a few boxes of Federal 3" Barnes expander slugs and a few Remmy Accu-tip 2 3/4" slugs for it, and by whats been shown above Im excited about the outcome.

One question to you guys that already have one of these. Did you also experience ALOT of bolt drag when sliding the bolt in and out? I have spoken to a couple guys who have them as well, and found this to be caused by the matte finish on the bolt. They have taken the finish off and polished the bolt and now it is as smooth as silk, so I am gonna do the same thing.

Also, when do you guys think there will be an aftermarket 5rnd mag available:D?

These guys are right. Wouldn't rebarrel or change anything. You won't gain anything w/ longer or heavier barrel except weight. Savage has the best out of box accuracy. Bought mine last November and w/ Federal slugs I can make a single irregular 3 shot hole at 100 yds. You just aren't gonna find another slug gun that can do that right out of the box.

Last edited:
pdog,

I think every barrel has a different taste for slugs. The federals shoot awesome for me but a friend of mine can't get a good group at 100 yds w/ them. He shoots winchesters which don't group well in mine.

I just bought a camo one of these last week, but havent shot it yet. Yesterday I bought a Leupold UltimateSlam 2-7x33 scope for it and an EGW 1pc base. Just gotta pick up the rings this weekend and put it together.

I also got a few boxes of Federal 3" Barnes expander slugs and a few Remmy Accu-tip 2 3/4" slugs for it, and by whats been shown above Im excited about the outcome.

One question to you guys that already have one of these. Did you also experience ALOT of bolt drag when sliding the bolt in and out? I have spoken to a couple guys who have them as well, and found this to be caused by the matte finish on the bolt. They have taken the finish off and polished the bolt and now it is as smooth as silk, so I am gonna do the same thing.

Also, when do you guys think there will be an aftermarket 5rnd mag available:D?

I didn't have to do anything special to my bolt. I just got all of the packing grease off and then soaked everything with rem oil let it sit then wiped it all down. I have put about 50 rounds through mine and as long as I don't baby it, it cycles every time and ejects every time.

A note on the Savage 220... I bought one and put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on it and with Accutip 3" slugs I'm shooting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards.. It's my 20 ga. rifle.. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.